Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
10 Reasons Why The Search Marketing Industry Will Be @SMX West
Plus: 7 easy steps for planning your trip to SMX in San Jose, CA March 3-5, 2015 - THE conference for learning in-the-trenches search marketing tactics.
Because who doesn’t love a good Top 10 list? Learn why the search marketing industry gives SMX two thumbs up for being the best conference to attend and learn in-the-trenches tactics.
In case you missed our previous preview, What Search Marketers Can Expect To Learn @SMX West In Silicon Valley, we wanted to recap the 10 most important reasons why you need to be at Search Engine Land’s quickly approaching conference, March 3-5th in San Jose, CA.
10. Pre-Conference Workshops
Perfect for search and social media marketing beginners or returning veterans who want to sharpen their skills in a specialized area of digital marketing. Add this pre-conference workshop day to your SMX registration for a hands-on learning environment with a solid leader-to-student ratio.
Learn more about these six in-depth workshops happening on Monday, March 2nd:
- Local Search Advantage
- Advanced AdWords Training
- Bruce Clay SEO Training
- Social PPC & Psychographic Display Intensive
- International Search Summit
- Social Strategy Comprehensive
9. Brands, Top Agencies & Expert Speakers
Learn from your fellow peers and the best speakers in the industry.
8. Over 21 SEO Sessions That Prove SEO Isn’t Dead
If SEO was actually dead, we wouldn’t have so much to say about here at Search Engine Land on a daily basis. That translated into an agenda with these 21 featured SEO sessions, including several focused on the future of organic search.
In addition, we’ve programmed several sessions with attention to specialized SEO topics like local and mobile search, as well as the intersection of search and social media marketing.
7. Practical Paid Search Sessions
SEM continues to steal the spotlight (and the marketing budget) with good reason, as PPC and related retargeting campaigns continue to drive major revenues for search advertisers. Spilling over into mobile SEM and paid social marketing tactics, this year’s paid search sessions at SMX have something for everyone in attendance.
Learn how to get more bang for your PPC budget by streamlining paid campaigns with complex scripts, effectively segment audiences, improve bidding strategies and conquer reporting of ROAS.
6. All NEW Analytics & Conversion Track
You asked, we listened! In addition to deep dive Analytics track featuring the always mind-blowing Expert Excel Essentials session and an all-new tools session, we’ve added a complete track stacked with conversion optimization tips and tactics:
- Conversion Rate Rockstars
- Actionable Insights & Conversion Tactics for SEOs
- Actionable Insights & Conversion Tactics for SEMs
- Conversion Paths & Attributing The Search Assist
5. Expo Hall, Plus Sessions & Learn With Google
Stroll the Expo hall for product demos, cool vendor swag and giveaways, and hit the Expo Hall reception on Tuesday, March 3rd to wind down the day with snacks, beverages and networking. You can also sit in on short sponsor presentations and case studies in the SMX Theater, settle in for special Plus Sessions hosted by Page One Power, Stone Temple Consulting, Yahoo! on March 3, and spend March 4th in the Learn with Google classroom.
Register for a FREE Expo+ Pass before March 2nd, or pay $50 online or at the door after the cutoff.
4. Networking With Peers & After Hours Events
Sometimes you just want to be with your people, your tribe. People who really “get you” and the challenges you’re facing as a professional in the search marketing space. You just need someone you can talk to (and geek out with) about the latest crazy algo change or paid campaign targeting options, local search lows to the highs of social media.
Year after year, we also hear from speakers who consistently rave about what they learn as attendees of sessions. Chat in-between sessions and talk search shop with colleagues from these companies:
Following a successful inaugural Janes of Digital event at last year’s SMX Advanced conference in Seattle, Bing has once again stepped up to host a special program to celebrate women who work in the search and digital space. Go to this event to make new industry connections and discuss gender parity issues in tech.
At SMX West, the focus of the event’s discussion panel will be mentoring and we’d love to hear your strong voice in the conversation. All are welcome (this means you too, men!), but space will be limited to conference attendees who pre-register for the event.
The event takes place Tuesday evening, March 3rd at a venue close to the convention center. Stay tuned for more information, including registration details.
On Wednesday night, from 9-11pm, the annual SMX After Dark party is moving to a new venue, The Tech Museum of Innovation in downtown San Jose, just blocks from the conference center.
3. 5-Star Keynote By NYT Best-Selling Author
Everyone’s A Critic. Click. This year’s special guest keynote on why online reviews really matter will be given by Bill Tancer, author of those two titles. To get a sneak peek, check out Amy Gesenhues’ interview, 5 Questions with Bill Tancer at our sister site, Marketing Land.
2. Power Meals & Caffeine, Sugar Fueled Buzz Breaks
1. Because Following #SMX Just Isn’t The Same
Sure, you might have several perfectly valid reasons to stay home or in the office that week, but let’s be honest: you know you’re going to follow #SMX on Twitter anyway, and will likely check out all the speaker presentations after they are posted.
We all know it’s not the same experience as being there, and slide decks don’t always translate as well as hearing expert speakers download their depth of knowledge to your brain in real-time, IRL.
TL;DR – What You Need To Know About SMX
Ready to go? Whether this is your 1st time or 10th time attending SMX, here’s what you need to do next in 7 simple steps:
- Step 1: Buy your SMX West 2015 conference pass now. If you need budget buy-in, here’s our handy guide to Get the Boss Onboard.
- Step 2: Invite your colleagues! Bring two or more team members to divide and conquer concurrent sessions while saving with special team rates of 15-35%.
- Step 3: Reserve your hotel during the registration process.
- Step 4: Book a flight to SJC (San Jose Mineta International Airport) for the quickest access to the downtown San Jose Convention center. Alternate airports: SFO and OAK, use public transportation (CalTrain, Bart), car services or rental cars to get to San Jose.
- Arrive: March 1st if you plan to add a workshop day (Monday, March 2nd). The main conference kicks off Tuesday March 3rd, so you’ll want to arrive the day before.
- Pro Tips:
- Plan your travel to arrive in time for the Meet & Greet opening reception Monday evening at 6pm.
- Join other attendees for a special orientation session to learn the ropes and make new connections, starting at 5:30pm Monday March 2nd, then head to the reception together.
- Depart: After the last session ends Thursday, March 5th at 4:30pm.
- Step 5: Pack your bags.
- Pro Tip: Include a notebook and/or several mobile devices capable of storing and sharing massive amounts of information.
- Step 6: Prepare to hear expert search marketing tips, tactics and strategic advice from the best in the business.
- Step 7: Leave with big-picture takeaways and action items to integrate into your online marketing strategy. It’s a sure bet – we guarantee it.