Apple Takes Siri Out Of Beta
9to5mac.com reports Apple has quietly taken the beta label off of their voice search feature, Siri.
If you look at the iOS 7 Siri, the page makes no mention of beta anymore. The old iOS 6 version had the beta label on it, but iOS 7 Siri has removed that label.
Here is the iOS 7 Siri page:
Here is the old iOS 6 Siri page:
About two years ago, we reported on some controversial issues with Siri related to Siri not being able to find abortion clinics. Back then, Apple gave the New York Times a statement reading:
“Our customers want to use Siri to find out all types of information, and while it can find a lot, it doesn’t always find what you want,” said Natalie Kerris, a spokeswoman for Apple, in a phone interview late Wednesday. “These are not intentional omissions meant to offend anyone. It simply means that as we bring Siri from beta to a final product, we find places where we can do better, and we will in the coming weeks.”
Now, if you search for abortion clinics on Siri using iOS 7, you still get similar results:
Although Siri is out of beta, is it any better with these specific queries than before?
- Siri, Search & The Abortion Controversy
- Why Siri Can’t Find Abortion Clinics & How It’s Not An Apple Conspiracy
- Head To Head: Siri Vs. Google Voice Actions
- Why Siri + Yelp = Useless Google Maps On The iPhone 4S
- Not Just Google: Siri Searches Bing And Yahoo Too
- Siri, Are You Taking Over Mobile Search?
- Trapit Aims To Be Your Search “Personal Assistant”
- Stephen Colbert Gets His Siri On
- Alternatives To Siri: Google Voice Actions, Nuance, Vlingo
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
The best news in mobile marketing every Thursday.