ReadWrite/Web reports Microsoft’s Principal Scientist of Bing has left to join the Twitter team. Alek Kołcz, formerly a Scientist at Microsoft Live Labs, a co-chair at CIKM and a System Architect at AOL is now at Twitter.
The Twitter employee page has Alek’s Twitter avatar and @zorbageek linked to at the bottom. There has not been any official confirmation or announcement from Twitter or Bing outside of this employee page update.
Kołcz is an info-science heavy, having published numerous research articles in publications like The Journal of Supercomputing, Neurocomputing and Neural Networks. He appears to have a special affinity for spam crushing, something Twitter must struggle with a whole lot. As use of the service grows, so too will the importance of its search – especially given the very public nature of Twitter’s data.
- Up Close With Bing’s Twitter Search Engine
- Bing Testing Twitter In Search Results
- Bing Adds Twitter Smart Answers
- Bing Social Search Now Recommends People To Follow On Twitter
- Bing & Twitter Mesh With BingTweets