• David Temple

    Excellent insights! Spot on about giving value for contact info and making sure it’s the right value. Understanding the searcher’s intent and providing relevant information is definitely the key!

    I can’t believe only 25% expect to be contacted. What do the other 75% think? Also would be curious as to how well the sales force is following up and if they are providing the relevant information moving forward or if they are segmenting those leads at all.

    Also the report you referred to says “43% of respondents state they read search advertising”. What an excellent opportunity to test the messaging for each phase.