Everything you need to know about SEO, delivered every Thursday.
Google Discussion Forum Snippets Now Showing “Top Answers”
Google has expanded the search descriptions to show the “top answer” and sometimes the “question” for discussion forum like search results. For example, a search for [“incoming search terms”] in Google returns results from Google Groups and StackOverflow and in those snippets, it shows the “top answer” listed in the forum.
Here is a picture:
Both these forums support the functionality of labeling an answer to the question as a “top answer.” Google is clearly picking up on that, structuring the data as such and then displaying that directly in the search results.
This is all likely part of Google’s ongoing, slow and consistent effort of building out their semantic search engine.
Hat tip to Frederik Hyldig from SEOPORT.
- Google Adds Visited Pages, Past Hour & Fewer Shopping Sites Filtering
- Up Close With Google Search Options
- Google Starts To Classify Content Types In Web Search
- Google Rolls Out Sitelinks Display For Forums
- Google’s Last Visited Time Stamp Gets Down To The Minute
- Finding Search Engine Freshness & Crawl Dates