Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
Google Launches “Question and Answers” In Russia
Although Google closed down Google Answers late last year, this launch of Questions & Answers is a new flavor of such an application. To me, it looks more like a Google Groups approach than anything else.
Since everything is in Russian, it is hard to understand what exactly is going on. Google Blogoscoped tries to translate the features:
– You can ask questions and get answers from other users.
– You can earn points for answering questions and become an “expert” in subjects; better answers gain more points.
– You should label questions to make them easier to find. (What happened to Google’s world-class indexing algorithms?)
– Russia is the first country where this is being launched (which I guess means it may be rolled out to others in the long-term).
– You will be able to chat with “smart people”…
So will we see Question & Answers in America and other countries? It is possible. See also related coverage via Techmeme.
Postscript From Danny: More than expect this to come. At Google Press Day 2007, Google’s Marissa Mayer suggested that Google understands that a more human model is what’s needed to succeed in some countries:
To date we rely largely on automation….I actually think the right answer is a blend of both, to get the incredible scale that automation and operate on and have the human intelligence, particularly in Asia