Google Maps Makes Exception & Speeds Up Process To Replace Image Of Shooting Victim
Google Maps is making an exception to its process for reviewing image removal requests, and speeding up the actions needed to replace a satellite image of a 14-year old shooting victim. Following a story broadcast on KTVU-TV, a CNN affiliate in Oakland, California and a report on CNN.com, Google claims it will take approximately eight days to remove the image of the 2009 crime scene involving the slain teenager.
According to an update on the story from CNN.com, vice president of Google Maps Brian McClendon released the following the statement:
Our hearts go out to the family of this young boy…Google has never accelerated the replacement of updated satellite imagery from our maps before, but given the circumstances we wanted to make an exception in this case.
The story began when Jose Barrera, the father of the victim, found a Google Maps image that was taken near the same area where his 14 year old son’s slain body had been found on August 15, 2009. CNN.com says the image contained, “A police cruiser and a small group of people standing near what appears to be a prone human form near a set of train tracks.”
The CNN.com report says the father had planned to formally complain to Google about removing the image, and contact state officials to lobby on his behalf.
While the Google says it will review reports “promptly” it does not offer a time frame for when users can expect to receive a response. Going on McClendon’s statement, eight days to remove an image is much faster than Google’s usual response time.
The following video includes the original interview with the Jose Barrera broadcast by KTVU-TV:
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the latest news in local search marketing each week.