Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
Google One Pass: Publisher Payment System
The Google Blog announced a new tool to help news publishers earn money online with their content. The system is called Google One Pass and it enables publishers to use Google to charge for content and subscriptions to their content.
Google said, “publishers can maintain direct relationships with their customers and give readers access to digital content across websites and mobile apps,” with Google One Pass. “Readers who purchase from a One Pass publisher can access their content on tablets, smartphones and websites using a single sign-on with an email and password,” google added.
The features and benefits include:
- New revenue stream
- Purchase-once, view-anywhere functionality
- Ability to give access to existing subscribers
- Lightweight technology implementation
- Business model flexibility (e.g., subscriptions, day passes, metered access, pay-per-article, multi-issue packages)
One Pass is currently available for publishers in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the U.K. and the U.S.
Here is a video demo from Google:
- Google CEO: We Considered Buying A Newspaper
- Google CEO Eric Schmidt On Newspapers & Journalism
- Newspaper Editor: Google Is ‘Hugely Dangerous’
- Google Spending Millions On Newspaper Ads To Notify Authors And Publishers Of Book Lawsuit Settlement
- Google Launches Newspaper Digitization Project
- Google Fast Flip – Google’s Newspaper & Magazine Reader Goes Live
- Yahoo-Newspaper Consortium Producing Some Mutual Gains