Today on Google you will find a special logo for the 189th birthday of Gregor Mendel. Gregor Mendel discovered the science of genetics while studying the inheritance of certain traits in pea plants. Because of this discovery, Google wanted people to remember who he is, what he did for science and medicine today and simply appreciate his contribution to the world. He was born in the Austrian Empire and died on January 6, 1884 at the age of 61 in Brno, Moravia, Austria-Hungary.
The logo is obviously a bunch of peas forming the Google logo, but added to it are the scientific notations.
As I noted at the Search Engine Roundtable today, Bing has a special background theme for Moon Day, which is also today. Two years ago, Google had a special moon day logo but today went with a Gregor Mendel Doodle.
Here is Bing’s theme:
- Google’s Got Logos, But Bing’s Home Page Images Attract Too
- The St. Basil’s Cathedral Google Logo
- Google’s Fourth Of July Logo
- Google’s 2011 Winter & Summer Solstice Logos
- Google’s Father’s Day Logo & More 2011 Logos