Google Testing “In-Depth Articles” Search Results, A New Rich Snippet?
Dr. Peter Meyers, the Marketing Scientist at Moz (formerly SEOmoz), tipped us off to a new Google search interface test. It appears Google is testing showing “in-depth articles” in the search results for local queries.
In the screenshot below, Pete triggered these results by searching for [mexican restaurants]. The local results and maps came up, and also restaurant reviews from Reason, New York Times and Wall Street Journal.
Below is a screen shot (here is a full size screenshot):
We’ve reached out to Google for a comment on this finding but have not yet heard back.
Google is constantly testing algorithms, search results, user interfaces and more. So, this test should not surprise anyone; but, for some reason, I think we will be seeing more of this in the near future.
Update: A Google spokesperson confirmed this is indeed a real experiment they are running.
- Google Testing Search Results Without URLs
- Google Images Tests New Related Searches User Interface
- Google Maps To Get A Major Design Overhaul
- Google Tests Larger Video Thumbnails In Tablet Search Results
- Google Local Results Drops “More Results Near…” To “Improve” Local Search Experience
- Google: We Removed Instant Previews Over Low Usage From Searchers
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.