The source of this information has not been disclosed, nor have any additional details. The source did say that Google would provide additional details this Monday.
Postscript: Google releases video filtering system from MercuryNews reports the tool is live now.
Dan King, a product manager at YouTube, said:
System works by creating a database full of abstract images of copyrighted videos that are then matched with videos that are uploaded to YouTube.
For past coverage of Google’s YouTube piracy issues see:
- Google Talks About YouTube Video ID Tool from Jun. 15, 2007
- YouTube Ready To Test “Fingerprinting” Video Tool from Jun. 12, 2007
- Google’s Schmidt: YouTube’s “Claim Your Content” Copyright Protection Service Nearly Ready from Apr. 17, 2007
- Google To Launch YouTube Content Identification System Soon from Feb. 22, 2007
- YouTube’s “Content Identification System” Delay May Hurt Google’s Plans from Jan. 2, 2007
- YouTube’s Growth Worries Media Giants from Dec. 19, 2006