How Live Search Penalties Work
The Live Search blog posted a comprehensive guide on how to determine if your site is penalized in Live Search and if so, what actions you can take to remedy the issue. I’ll highlight some of the key points in this excellent blog post.
- Microsoft said, “most webmasters who get penalized know why it happened.”
- First confirm your site is penalized by validating your site at Live Search Webmaster Tools and then clicking on the Summary tool and then the Site status section. Blocked “Yes” means you are penalized.
- Figure out what you did wrong by using the various tools to see your crawl issues, malware issues, link issue or something else.
- Microsoft then explains various reasons why a “good guy” can be penalized.
- Once you fix the issue then go to this form and fill it out, plus select the “Content Inclusion Request” option and submit. I do wonder why the form is not also built into Webmaster Tools.
For more details, see the Live Search blog post.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Everything you need to know about SEO, delivered every Thursday.