Search Engine Land’s Most-Shared Stories on Facebook for 2013: How To Survive Google, Plus A Joke Here & There
Search marketing friends — welcome, welcome! It’s time for another installment of our Search Engine Land Year In Review series. We’ve toured through the top news stories and those that were most tweeted – now it’s time to scope out the articles, tutorials, resources, and surveys that were most shared on the world’s largest social network, Facebook.
Much of our “most popular on FB” posts you’ve already seen on the top tweeted list, but the order in which these stories rank is something of note. And for sure a few more playful posts made it into this roundup (April Fools, Easter Eggs), suggesting that tweet-streams are more of a place for hard-hitting news, whereas Facebook users might be more inclined to share light and pleasantly distracting posts with likeminded friends.
For all of our most socially-shared stories of 2013, we used Social Crawlytics, a free tool that analyzes each URL of a site to show how it’s been shared across top social sites. It’s a super useful tool to capture social plugin data and illuminate how content resonates socially.
Alright, enough analysis – let’s get to the goods. Here you have them, the top 20 Search Engine Land stories shared on Facebook in 2013:
- FAQ: All About The New Google “Hummingbird” Algorithm
- Penguin 4, With Penguin 2.0 Generation Spam-Fighting, Is Now Live
- Google’s Impressive “Conversational Search” Goes Live On Chrome
- A Eulogy For AltaVista, The Google Of Its Time
- Penguin 5, With The Penguin 2.1 Spam-Filtering Algorithm, Is Now Live
- Post-PRISM, Google Confirms Quietly Moving To Make All Searches Secure, Except For Ad Clicks
- Google’s Matt Cutts On Upcoming Penguin, Panda & Link Networks Updates
- How The New Facebook Search Is Different & Unique From Google Search
- Google Panda Update Version #24; 1.2% Of Search Queries Impacted
- Google’s April Fools’ Day 2013 Joke-A-Thon: YouTube Shutdown, Google Nose & More
- Google’s Hummingbird Takes Flight: SEOs Give Insight On Google’s New Algorithm
- Google Changes Ranking Advice, Says Build Quality Sites Not Links
- The Top Five SEO Mistakes According To Google’s Matt Cutts
- Google Confirms Panda Update Is Rolling Out: This One Is More “Finely Targeted”
- Google Warns Against Large-Scale Guest Posting, Advertorials & “Optimized Anchor Text” In Press Releases
- Now Updated: The Periodic Table Of SEO Success Factors
- Google’s Matt Cutts: Black Hat & Link Spammers Less Likely To Show Up In Search Results After Summer
- 50 Percent Of Companies Struggling With SEO Aren’t Integrating Social Media [Survey]
- Google Testing Huge Banner Ads For Branded Queries
- The Big List Of Google Easter Eggs
Happy holidays, dear readers!
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.