Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
Search Engine Land’s Most-Shared Stories on Twitter for 2013: Google, Google, & More Google
Welcome back, search marketing friends, to the second installment of our Search Engine Land Year In Review series. So far, you’ve seen the run-down of our top news stories to break in 2013 — now, we’re switching gears to the social side of things, kicking it off with Twitter.
What was the hottest topic our readers tweeted about over the last 12 months? Google stole the show in a big way, from various algorithm updates and overhauls (Panda, Penguin, Hummingbird…) to those ginormous banner ads that took many by surprise. (And, love him or hate him, insights and two cents from Google’s Matt Cutts topped the tweet charts on more than one occasion.) Facebook Graph Search made a few appearances, and — believe it or not — so did the search engine from yesteryear, AltaVista.
For all of our most socially-shared stories of 2013, we used Social Crawlytics, a free tool that analyzes each URL of a site to show how it’s been shared across top social sites. It’s a super useful tool to capture social plugin data and illuminate how content resonates socially.
Okay, on to the main event. Presenting, the 20 most-shared stories on Twitter for 2013:
- FAQ: All About The New Google “Hummingbird” Algorithm
- Post-PRISM, Google Confirms Quietly Moving To Make All Searches Secure, Except For Ad Clicks
- Google’s Impressive “Conversational Search” Goes Live On Chrome
- Penguin 4, With Penguin 2.0 Generation Spam-Fighting, Is Now Live
- Google’s Matt Cutts On Upcoming Penguin, Panda & Link Networks Updates
- The Top Five SEO Mistakes According To Google’s Matt Cutts
- 50 Percent Of Companies Struggling With SEO Aren’t Integrating Social Media [Survey]
- Google Testing Huge Banner Ads For Branded Queries
- How The New Facebook Search Is Different & Unique From Google Search
- The SEO Guide To Getting Started With Google Webmaster Tools
- Google Panda Update Version #24; 1.2% Of Search Queries Impacted
- Google Changes Ranking Advice, Says Build Quality Sites Not Links
- Google Confirms Panda Update Is Rolling Out: This One Is More “Finely Targeted”
- SEO For Facebook Graph Search? Facebook Has Some Tips
- A Eulogy For AltaVista, The Google Of Its Time
- Google’s Hummingbird Takes Flight: SEOs Give Insight On Google’s New Algorithm
- Now Updated: The Periodic Table Of SEO Success Factors
- Penguin 5, With The Penguin 2.1 Spam-Filtering Algorithm, Is Now Live
- Google Warns Against Large-Scale Guest Posting, Advertorials & “Optimized Anchor Text” In Press Releases
- Google’s Matt Cutts: Black Hat & Link Spammers Less Likely To Show Up In Search Results After Summer
Happy holidays, dear readers!