Online Holiday Shopping Stats & Most Searched Gifts
Following up a report that online-only retailers experienced an 11% increase in visits for Black Friday 2008 (over 2007), Hitwise released additional numbers for Cyber Monday 2008, traditionally expected to be a better day in terms of online traffic and sales for e-tailers.
Cyber Monday 2008 snapshot
- Among the top 500 Retail Web sites, the percentage of U.S. visits were down 1% on Cyber Monday 2008, compared to 2007.
- U.S visits to Brick and Mortar store Web sites (100 total) were down>4% on Cyber Monday.
- U.S visits to Online-only Web sites (100 total) were up 5% on on Cyber Monday.
- U.S visits to the Comparison Shopping Web sites were down 21% on yber Monday.
- U.S visits to the Catalog Web sites were down 4% on Cyber Monday.
Cyber Monday visits to top retailers
Percentages based on U.S. visits to the top 500 Retail Web sites.
- Amazon.com – 10.77%
- Walmart.com – 8.55%
- Target.com – 4.56%
- BestBuy.com – 3.81%
- Sears.com – 2.74%
Amazon.com’s traffic increased 21% on Cyber Monday 2008 vs. 2007. Walmart.com’s traffic increased 6%.
The search is on for the perfect gift
Meanwhile, search engines Google and Lycos released the hottest gifts and most searched for products this holiday season. Google Product search released a 2008 Holiday Shopping guide, complete with special offers to use Google Checkout.
Google’s most searched gifts:
- nintendo wii
- wii fit
- ipod touch
- xbox 360
- nintendo ds
- ipod nano
- nikon d90
- digital picture frame
Lycos.com Top 10 toy searches
In the video game wars, Xbox 360 is beating out Playstation 3 on Lycos for most wanted game console, and Guitar Hero World Tour is well ahead of Rock Band 2. Most popular video games include 1) RuneScape, 2) Halo 3, 3) Final Fantasy XIII, 4) Diablo III and 5) Grand Theft Auto IV.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
The latest analyses, insights and strategies that inspire CMOs and marketers everywhere.