Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
SearchCap: AdWords Close Variants, comScore Search Rankings & Google Now Flights
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- ComScore: Yahoo Bounces Back From All-Time Low In Search Share
After dropping below a 10% market share for search for the first time in June, Yahoo creeped back above that threshold, according to ComScore’s July search engine rankings. Yahoo checked in with a 10.0% share, a 0.2 percentage point gain over its record low in June. Yahoo had 1.8 billion searches in the month, a […]
- 21 Metrics For Monitoring SEO Health
An SEO issue that goes unnoticed, even for a few days, can have a huge impact on business — so what metrics can you use to detect problems early?
- Is SEO Being Ripped Asunder?
The responsibility for SEO is being assigned to various departments. Is this a good thing or a bad thing for the state of the industry?
- Search In Pics: Google Excavations, Google Massage Rooms & Cusco Peru Office
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more. Google London Massage Rooms: Source: Google+ Sleeping Google Street View Car: Source: Google+ Goooooogle Scooters: Source: […]
- Google Now Offers Alternative Flights On Delayed Or Cancelled Flights
The Android Community reports a two new features added to Google Now. The main new feature is that Google will suggest alternative flights or options when your flight is delayed or cancelled. If Google detects your flight is delayed or cancelled, Google “can suggest alternate routes or flights from other airlines that will eventually get […]
- 5 Steps To Adjust To Google’s Latest Change To AdWords Matching Behavior
Matching behavior for phrase and exact match keywords is changing in AdWords. What do you need to know about close keyword variations?
- Farewell ‘Pure’ Exact Match, AdWords Will Soon Require All Campaigns To Use Close Variants
Today Google has announced that in late September, AdWords advertisers will no longer have the ability to de-select close variants. All campaigns will now include these variants, something that advertisers could previously opt out of. The way close variants will work is completely the same as it has been since 2012. So What Does This […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Search Marketers Tear Into Google Over AdWords Exact Match Change
- Telegraph “Forgets” Its Own Stories Documenting Google “Right To Be Forgotten” Removals
- Global Smartphone Shipments Pass 300 Million In Q2; Android Extends Lead In Market Share
- Yo, Yo, Yo! This Is How You Webinar!
- Facebook’s VP Of Product Management, Sam Lessin, Is Departing
- Promote, Partner Or Pay: Maximizing Your Content Distribution
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google doodles independent India’s first stamp on August 15, IBNLive
- Chinese Search Giant Baidu Thinks AI Pioneer Andrew Ng Can Help It Challenge Google and Become a Global Power, MIT Technology Review
- Marcus Tandler: State of Digital Summer School, Learning from the Experts, State of Digital
- Outside Google’s New York Office, a Giant Rat Is All but Invisible, New York Times
- Patent Win for Google and Allies Crushes Vringo Shares, Wall Street Journal
Local & Maps
- My #1 Local Citations Tip: Do Another Round, LocalVisibilitySystem.com
- Link Echoes (a.k.a. Link Ghosts): Why Rankings Remain Even After Links Disappear – Whiteboard Friday, Moz
- 10 awesome Google features you should be using, USA Today
- Answer: Where can you find this in the street?, SearchReSearch
- Google Launching Penguin 3?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google on Finding Entities: A Tale of Two Michael Jacksons, SEO By The Sea
- Move from HTTP to HTTPS: Google Traffic 1 Week After Moving, Bill Hartzer
- Negative SEO Attack! | Internet Explorers, August 15, Renegade Search
- SSL Certificate Companies Begin Promotion Around Google HTTPS Ranking Signal, Search Engine Roundtable
SEM / Paid Search
- AdWords is Forcing Variation Match Upon You–This is Why it’s a Terrible Idea, Certified Knowledge
- Biggest Remarketing Mistakes – The SEO Post, thesempost.com
- Google AdWords Tests A New Hotel Booking Box, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google axes close variant option: what it means for advertisers, 3Q Digital
- Google Shopping Campaign Upgrade Tool, Cardinal Path Blog
- Prevent An Adwords Disaster: Fix These 4 Campaign Elements To See Profits Soar And Costs Plummet, Search Engine People Blog
- RIP Exact Match and Phrase Match in AdWords!, WordStream
- Starting in September Google will Require Close Variant Matching, PPC Hero
- Why We Ignore Net Gains In PPC, PPC Hero
- Google Does Not Care What You Think, neptunemoon.net
- Tablets = Desktops, and Other Google Fibs, Beyond the Paid
- Video: Google Penguin 3, Migrating To HTTPS, Bing Conversation Search & AdWords Variant Match, Search Engine Roundtable