Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 13, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Oracle Sued Google Over Patent Infringement Of Java Within Android
Oracle has filed suit against Google for allegedly infringing on patents they hold for Java, which Oracle acquired last year.
Karen Tillman from Oracle said, “In developing Android, Google knowingly, directly and repeatedly infringed Oracle’s Java-related intellectual property. This lawsuit seeks appropriate remedies for their infringement.” Google said they have not yet been served […]
- The Subtle Science Of Bidding Part 3: Second Order Effects
In the past two posts of this series (part 1, part 2), I discussed the actual auction mechanism that the search engines deploy, with real life examples with both brand and non- brand keywords. In the final and concluding part of this series, I will discuss what I term as “second order effects” and will […]
- How To Rescue Poorly Converting Web Sites
Twice this year I got the call too late. Two online businesses were in their final death throes. Their owners begged me for emergency help with sinking conversion rates. Both believed that I could find what was “broken,” repair it with some magic usability tape, traffic would flow again and sales would return. […]
- Dead Girl On Google Street View? No, Just A Game
Imagine clicking through your neighborhood’s Google Street View photos and finding this:
If you think you’re looking at the body of a dead girl, so did people who live on Middle Road in Worcester, England. But, as the Daily Mail reports, it’s just a ten-year-old named Azura Beebeejaun who happened to be “playing dead” with a […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- New Google Buzz API features, including a garden hose, Google Code Blog
- Galactic Inbox: An HTML5 game inspired by Gmail, Official Gmail Blog
- Search Google Docs and Google Sites in Gmail, Google Operating System
- We’re Remodeling!, www.ygroupsblog.com
- Demand Media Faces Harsh Spotlight En Route to IPO, GigaOM
- Google accuses California of rigging bidding process for e-mail contract, latimes.com
- Google Calls Oracle Patent Suit Baseless And An Attack On The Open-Source Java Community, TechCrunch
- Google Is Having a Pretty Crappy Friday the 13th, nymag.com
- Allow Or Disallow Image Hot Linking? That Is The Question, Search Engine Roundtable
- Can One Solid Link Boost Your Search Rankings?, Search Engine Roundtable
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Better Maps Through Local Thinking – Conclusion, blog.telemapics.com
- Google Street View captures girl’s ‘body’ lying on pavement, Mail Online
- Google Earth Enterprise 4.0 now available, Official Google Enterprise Blog
- Gowalla CEO: Sorry Mobile Web: Users Prefer Apps, GigaOM
- PayPal Talking With Google About Handling Android Payments, Bloomberg
- Responding to the floods in Pakistan, Official Google Blog
Paid Search & Contextual
- Are Your Earning More Per AdSense Click on The Weekends?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Take Your Online Business to New Heights with the Display Network – Part 3, www.polepositionmarketing.com
- Blekko Update: Mechanical Turk Meets Algorithmic Web Search, blog.traffick.com
- Google Removes Organic Results in Local Tests, blog.converseon.com
- New Legal Database Now Online From International Committee of the Red Cross to Enhance Protection for War Victims, ResourceShelf
- Searchable Calvin & Hobbes Archive – Check It Out Before It Disappears, Read/Write Web
- Credit Where Credit’s Due: Goodbye, Carolyn… We’ll Miss You!, adCenter Blog
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: August 13, 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Your SEO is a Waste of Time Without Conversions, BruceClay.com
- A Closer Look at Google Grants, KoMarketing Associates
- FTP Data Feed Uploads To Google Merchant Center Broken, Search Engine Roundtable
- How to Pitch SEO to Potential Clients and Employers – Whiteboard Friday, SEOmoz
- Split Testing – Knowing is Half the Battle, Part 1, SEO.com
- 7 Reasons Not To Use The New Tweet Buttons, andybeard.eu
- Do We Still Need Websites?, Ad Age
- Facebook Launching Official Live Streaming Channel: Facebook Live, Read/Write Web
- New Buttons! New Twitter! More Social!, blog.sharethis.com
- The top countries on Facebook (chart), Royal Pingdom
- Twitter Ad Network Magpie Put Up For Sale, TechCrunch
Video, Music & Image Search
- YouTube Tests Tag Refinements, Google Operating System
- Beyond Website Analytics: Tools For Helping Measure ‘Other Things’, Search Engine Watch
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Fueling Your Local SEO With Citations – Pay attention to Local, people! Another good reminder of the local citations business owners need to be looking for to rank well in the "pack" and just plain good for business too.
- 3 New Ways to Reuse Old Articles to Triple Your Backlinks – Turn those old articles you have hanging around your desktop folder into even more backlinks with this three-pronged attack.
- Should You Post (or Buy) Ads on Twitter? – Twitter advertising can be a hot button issue for some though, causing followers to flee or advertisers to come a-calling. Some love it because it’s a way to monetize something they do anyway, or reach a new targeted market. Some hate it because it causes unsolicited clutter and “invades” real relationships. Jennifer Mattern falls squarely into the latter group. What about you?
- How To Rescue Poorly Converting Web Sites – Kim gives some pretty spot on amazing advice for helping your site convert better. Take the time to read this if you own a site that needs a little work on conversion.
- 74 B2B Link Building Queries for B2B Link Prospecting – This article provides 74 B2B-oriented queries for discovering new backlink prospects based on what's inherently linkable about your site or organization. Beginning and intermediate seos will appreciate the structure behind the queries – we've organized them according to 18 types of link opportunities AND by 3 major types of link building campaign. Advanced B2B SEOs may just find a query or two to add to their link prospecting tool box…
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.