Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, January 30, 2014
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Q4 2013 Earnings Report $16.86 Billion In Revenues
Google announced fourth-quarter 2013 earnings today. Google’s revenue targets beat estimates, while their earnings-per-share did not. Google had revenues of $16.86 billion for the quarter ended December 31, 2013, an increase of 17% compared to the fourth quarter of 2012. Google’s operating income in the fourth quarter of 2013 was $3.92 billion, or 23% of […]
- Yahoo Adds Local Business Snapshots Next To Search Results
You’re gonna say to yourself, “That looks a lot like Google’s local search results.” I’m talking about the latest interface change that Yahoo has announced: the display of local business information alongside search results. The local business info includes basic business information, photos, hours of operation and some data specific to the business type — […]
- Search Marketing Expo – SMX West Early Bird Rates Expire Saturday. Register Now!
Join the most accomplished internet marketers in the world at SMX West, March 11-13 in San Jose, CA. Check out the agenda & speaker roster, featuring three days of tactic packed sessions, a keynote from Google, invaluable networking opportunities, and much more. Save $200 with Early Bird rates before they expire Saturday – Register now!
- From 10 Blue Links To Entity SERPs: Is Your Website Ready?
Search is changing and along with it the landscape of search results. SERPs are more adaptive, more engaging, more informative, more interactive and more personalized. The adoption of Semantic Search- and Semantic Web-related enhanced displays in SERPs initially appeared via Yahoo and its SearchMonkey results. This was in due course followed by Google’s Rich Snippets […]
- Last Chance for SMX West Early Bird Rates – Register Now!
Search Marketing Expo – SMX West rates increase Saturday, February 1st. Register now and save on all passes! Join us March 11-13 in San Jose for: The latest tactics and strategies: Over 75% of the sessions are new. Check out the agenda. Presentations by more than 80 internet marketing experts on SEO, paid search, local/mobile […]
- Facebook Will Launch Graph Search For Mobile “Pretty Soon”
According to CEO Mark Zuckerberg during Facebook’s recent earnings call, Facebook’s Graph Search will hit mobile devices ‘pretty soon.’ It’s now been a full year since Graph Search was launched and mobile integration only makes sense. According to cnet, Zuckerberg stated the following quote in regards to Graph Search on the call: “Pretty soon, I think, […]
- I Don’t Want No Scrub (Agency)
You know the song, so sing it with me people! I made some modifications to the lyrics below that demonstrate my point well: I don’t want no scrub (paid search practitioner) A scrub (PPC ) is a guy (PPC person) that can’t get no love from me Hanging out the passenger side Of his best […]
- Google Search Redesigns Stock Quotes “Card,” Drops Competitor Links, Then Brings Them Back
Yesterday, Google launched a new design of the stock quotes “card” at the top of its search results. The new card dropped links to competing financial websites, something Google previously had in place since 2000. But after attention was drawn to the fact, Google quietly restored the links. Google Operating System noted the change and […]
- Excelling (Again) At Excel For Search Engine Marketers
On Thursday, March 13th, I will be presenting on the Extreme Excel Excellence panel at SMX West with John Gagnon and Brett Snyder (moderated by Chris Sherman). In the session, we will be delivering power-user tips for marketers using Excel, and Chris has raised the bar very high for us to deliver truly advanced-to expert-level hacks on what […]
- Live @ SMX West: Best Practices For Mobile SEO
For years, debates raged about what constituted “best practices” when it came to mobile SEO. Early on, the discussion focused on whether it was important to have a separate site optimized for mobile devices. That proved to be a major challenge, as it required detecting and optimizing for hundreds if not thousands of different devices, […]
- Bing Rewards Program Now Available On iOS & Android Devices
Bing Rewards is going mobile starting today. According to a post on the company’s blog, the incentive program that lets users earn credits toward gift cards for brands like Amazon, Xbox and Dominos, is available on iOS and Android devices starting today, and will be “coming soon” to Windows Phone devices. Currently, iOS and Android […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Google Analytics Updates Remarketing UI & Builds Out List Import Options
- Paper: News Reader, Home 2.0 Or Facebook Replacement?
- Susan Beebe, Social Strategist From Tyson Foods Named To #HashtagBowl Live Blog Lineup
- Last Chance for SMX West Early Bird Rates – Register Now!
- The “Real Reason” Google Sold Motorola To Lenovo
- The Mobile Makeover Of Digital Marketing
- A Sneak Peek Into Volkswagen’s Super Bowl Social Media “War Room” Plans
- Facebook Custom Audiences Add Better Targeting Options & New CTA Buttons
- Google Selling Motorola Handset Business To Lenovo For $2.9 Billion
Search News From Around The Web:
- Moz’s 2013 Year In Review: More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Moz, And Then Even More, Moz
- SEO Solicitations Aimed At Google.com, Search Engine Roundtable
- 6 Lessons from Matt Cutts’s Boss, SMX Keynote Amit Singhal, BruceClay.com
- 4 Steps For Protecting Your Website From Google Penalties, Search Engine People
- Building a CRAP SEO Content Strategy, Search Engine Watch
- More Brands Lose Brand Rankings As Google Takes Action – Music Magpie Just One Casualty, David Naylor
- Online Brands Not Doing Enough to Guard Against a Google Penalty, says Searchmetrics, realwire.com
- Seven on-page SEO tips for Baidu, Econsultancy
- The Secret is NOT to Write Longer Articles or Use Longer Words, SEO Theory
- What is Hummingbird and How Can It Influence Digital Marketing?, Daily SEO Tip
- Why SEOs Should Dump CSS Sprites for Icon Fonts, Portent
SEM / Paid Search
- Spring Cleaning Checklist: Get Rid of the Digital Dust Bunnies in Your Bing Ads Accounts, Bing Ads Blog
- The Super Bowl and Paid Search, Adgooroo
- 4 Tips to Effectively Localize Your Search Marketing, Search Engine Watch
- 5 Strategies for RLSA (Remarketing Lists for Search Ads), chackamarketing.com
- Five Lessons Google can Learn from Microsoft Bing, PerformanceIN
- How SEO And PPC Can Complement Each Other, koozai.com
- SEO Keyword Research Tutorial for the B2B Online Marketer, komarketingassociates.com