SearchCap: The Day In Search, March 25, 2014
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Five Days Later, It Looks Like Google Has Penalized Web Design Library For Selling Links
We all saw this one coming: Web Design Library, the website that was using Twitter to renew paid links last week, appears to have earned a Google penalty. While I was researching last week’s article, I saw the site ranking at No. 8 for the term web design. Today, I’m seeing it at No. 48 […]
- SMX Advanced Lowest Super Early Bird Rates Expire Friday – Register Now!
Join the most accomplished search marketers in the world, June 11-12 in Seattle. SMX Advanced features two days of expert-only sessions, keynotes and the highest-level networking anywhere. Six in-depth workshops offered on June 10. SMX Advanced has sold out since its start in 2007. Secure your spot & save – Register now!
- Google Granted Patent For Panda Algorithm
Google’s Panda update has been one of the most talked about algorithmic updates by SEOs and webmasters since it launched in February 2011. Today is the day the patent document describing Panda was granted. It was written by Navneet Panda, which is why it was named Panda, and Vladimir Ofitserov of Google. The patent application […]
- BrandVerity Offers Feedback From Google, Bing On Paid Search Trademark Complaints
Brands aiming to protect themselves from trademark infringement in paid search are often met with white noise after they submit complaints to the search engines. They typically aren’t told if any action was taken — and even more frustrating, if no action was taken and/or why. To help solve this problem, BrandVerity has added a […]
- Apple Broadening App-Store Search With Related Keywords
Mobile app discovery continues to be a challenge for most developers. Quixey (across platforms) and Google (on Android) are trying to address that challenge by indexing deep links within apps. For its part, Apple appears to be trying to broaden App Store search with related keywords. When entering search queries within the App Store, Apple […]
- Unicorn Accounts Don’t Use DKI & 9 Other PPC Lessons From SMX West
Freshly back from the excitement of SMX West in beautiful San Jose and full to the brim with insightful PPC notes (if Evernote can technically get full to the brim), I’ve set about compiling a list of my top PPC-related takeaways from the event. The following are the ten that most caught my imagination. 1. […]
- Content & SEO Alignment: 3 Steps To Create The Perfect Win-Win
According to new research, brands invest $44 billion in content every year. As online content marketing budgets rise, it is essential that modern day marketers align their content and SEO efforts to maximize ROI. Have you ever been in a situation where: You create some killer content, but no one finds it online? Your SERP […]
- Google Misattributing Content From Major News Publishers
A reader has sent us examples of Google misattributing content from dozens of large online news publications, with hundreds thousands of examples of Google indexing URLs and pages, but that content being pulled from a different source. For example, if you search for [hometownlocator site:post-gazette.com], the first result is local.post-gazette.com/boardman+florist.9.125954212p.home.html: If you look at the […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Facebook Adds More Targeting Power To Lookalike Audiences
- Adobe Keeps Adding To Its Marketing Cloud, Previews Online-Offline Optimization Technology
- Disney To Acquire Maker Studios For $500 Million In Move To Grow Its YouTube Audience
- Gmail Promotions Tab Gets Visual Punch: Google Testing Image-Driven Grid View
- Majority Of Shoppers Want Cross-Channel Personalization — Survey
- In Interactive Marketing, The Goalposts Always Move — And That’s Good
- Survey Says: Twitter Quitters Are Looking For More Sorting & Filtering Tools
- Questions About The New Facebook Pages Layout? Facebook’s Got Answers.
Search News From Around The Web:
- Why I Blog Less Frequently: I’m Scared, pointblankseo.com
Local & Maps
- You know the feeling. You’re just miles from home when all…, Google – Google+
- 3 Ways Marketers Can Build Trust With Content, SEO Copywriting
- Anatomy of a large-scale negative SEO attack, Branded3
- Google’s Panda Granted a Patent on Ranking Search Results, SEO By The Sea
- SEO vs Inbound Marketing vs Content Marketing – A Reality Check, andybeard.eu
- Small Agency and Freelancer Tools, State of Digital
- Strong SEO Keywords are Key, Web Analytics World
- Why You Need A Local SEO Campaign, koozai.com
SEM / Paid Search
- 9 Insanely Simple Ways to Optimize your PPC Landing Page, visualwebsiteoptimizer.com
- Clicks, Customers, Cashflow, Part 3: Cashflow, 3Q Digital
- How To Setup Long-Tail Google AdWords Campaigns To Effectively Target Millions Of Permutations, Search Engine People
- Video: Google vs. Bing, digitalthirdcoast.net
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.