SearchCap: The Day In Search, December 17, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Do You Hear What I Hear: Understanding Mobile Searcher Intent
With 2010 holiday shopping season nearly complete, every consumer brand has really been given the ultimate mobile gift this from their consumers: a massive trove of smartphone search analytic data screaming for their favorite brands to be as mobile as they are. This gift will probably go unwrapped by many brands, which will present unique [...]
- Not So Fast: Delicious.com May Survive, After All
Responding to the frenzy that happened yesterday after news spread that Delicious.com was likely to be shut down, Yahoo says the service may live on, after all. In a post today on the Delicious.com blog, the company emphatically says Delicious isn’t closing. Is Delicious being shut down? And should I be worried about my data? [...]
- Google Adds Site Hacked Notifications To Search Results
Matt Cutts of Google announced on the Google Webmaster Blog that they have added a new notification for hacked sites to the search results. Google had malware notifications in the search results since 2007, but now Google is adding a notification for searchers to be aware that the site they may click on is hacked. [...]
- Search In Pictures: Bing Limousine, Google Kansas & More
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more. Bing Limousine Service: Google Kansas Welcome Sign: Google Invite To Play: 235th Birthday of Jane Austen [...]
- Optimization Innovations On The Google Display Network: Q & A With ScienceOp’s Dr. Bryan Minor
I was wondering the other day — how big of a player is the Google Display Network bought through Adwords with regards to the digital marketing industry? I say bought through AdWords because Google sells their GDN inventory in other ways including direct sales, their DoubleClick ad exchange platform, YouTube, etc. I’m just interested to [...]
- Google News Adds “Follow News” Button, Easy Way To Customize Home Page
Google News has quietly added a new button that allows you to easily bookmark frequent searches and create custom sections within your personalized Google News home page. The New “Follow News” Button If you do a search on Google News, you will now likely see a “Follow [what you searched for] News” button that appears [...]
- 10 Alternatives To Delicious.com Bookmarking
It looks like your (and my) personal search engine of interesting web pages is about to go away. Yahoo hasn’t formally confirmed, but all signs point to the impending demise of delicious.com. What are we going to do with all of our bookmarks? There are several alternatives available and, if you’re like me, you’re going [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Users mourn Yahoo’s Delicious bookmark service in advance, Washington Post
- Celebrating 10 years in Chicago, Official Google Blog
- As Yahoo Crumbles, Here’s What Management Is Worrying About, www.businessinsider.com
- Delicious Founder "Not Sure" Yet About Recreating (Or Buying) Delicious, www.businessinsider.com
- EU extends Google investigation to news and mapping, thenextweb.com
- Facebook Says it Will Acquire 15 Companies in 2011, Up 2X From 2010, Read/Write Web
- Google Rejects Connecticut Request for Wi-Fi Data, Wall Street Journal
- Google Takes Another Big Step to Retain Employees: Autonomous Business Units, TechCrunch
- Governments shouldn’t have a monopoly on Internet governance, Official Google Blog
- Twitter’s Happy Problem: It Can’t Meet Advertiser Demand, Wired
- Yahoo Has Hit Rock Bottom And Is In “Absolute Disarray”, TechCrunch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- New Google Dashboard Analytics Gone Missing, Mike Blumenthal
- Under the hood of Google Maps 5.0 for Android, googlemobile.blogspot.com
Paid Search & Contextual
- Atlas Client Center launches!, community.microsoftadvertising.com
- Google AdWords Editor Access Bug, Search Engine Roundtable
- Significant advances for Display Ad Builder, Inside AdWords
- Building a Better Speller: Bing and Microsoft Research Offer Prizes for Best Search Engine Spelling Alteration Services, MSDN Blogs
- Yahoo! Showcases Powered-Up Movie Searches in New Ad, Yahoo Search Blog
- Easter Egg in Google Books Ngram Viewer, Google Operating System
- G-Man Is Gone :-(, Irishwonder
- Video: Bing Adds Links Report, Google Ranking Update & Yahoo Dying Slowly, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Bing Shopping Rejecting Merchants, Search Engine Roundtable
- Facebook LikeBaiting? Is Social Rank Dying Already?, SEO Book
- The SEOmoz Internal SEO Pre-Launch Checklist – Whiteboard Friday, SEOmoz
- The Top 6 Pitfalls of Affiliate Marketing for Advertisers, Marketing Pilgrim
- Web Hosting for Search engine optimisation, David Naylor
- How Twitter Use Has Changed, From 2009 to 2010, Read/Write Web
- Twitter Has Pretty Much Officially Become a Gaming Platform, Ad Age
- Google Testing Updated Version of Google Analytics (screenshots), Distilled blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- The Importance of Local Search on Black Friday vs. Cyber Monday (Stats) – When you think of Black Friday, you think of brick and mortar. When you think of Cyber Monday, you think of Online Shopping. However, the Local Search space sees an interesting spike on Cyber Monday. Interesting Stats on Local Search behavior in and around the Thanksgiving weekend.
- 6 New Tools Every SEO Should Check Out – There's some terrificly useful new tools on the market that very few SEOs are aware of or using (at least, if my experience is any indication). It's my duty, therefore, to share with some of these shiny new sites and let you explore, engage and apply to your campaigns and efforts. Hopefully, these will add great value for you, and expose them to folks who really need their help.
- 10 Alternatives To Delicious.com Bookmarking – Where former Delicious users might go in the future.
- 35 Affiliate Marketing Predictions for 2011 – 35 predictions (from 12 affiliate marketers) on what 2011 may bring to affiliate marketing.
Opinions expressed in the article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land.
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.