SearchCap: The Day In Search, February 23, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Short Vs. Long Tail: Which Search Queries Perform Best?
The focus on the utility (or lack thereof) of long tail keywords in paid search campaigns seems to ebb and flow, but recently a series of articles about leveraging the long tail for pay-per click have been published. But in all the debate there’s an important distinction that most people fail to focus on. Keywords and [...]
- Google Testing Comparison Ads In UK
When Google launched AdWords Comparison Ads last fall, the company promised it would continue to expand its testing and use of this new ad format. Today, Google says it’s begun testing comparison ads in the UK for credit card-related searches. In writing about the launch in late October, Danny Sullivan explained how the ad formats works: Ads [...]
- FTC, Disclosure And Your Blog
In December of 2009, the new FTC policy on blog disclosure went into effect. Here we are well into 2010, and nothing much has changed. In fact, even the FTC has said it is unsure how it will actually enforce the new policy. Is this something publishers, bloggers, or social media consultants need to worry about [...]
- Xerox Sues Google & Yahoo Over Search Patent. Copy That!
Google, Yahoo Sued by Xerox Over Search Query Patents Bloomberg reports Xerox has sued Google and Yahoo over search patents Xerox holds. Xerox says one patent automatically generate a query based on keyword searches, where Google’s AdWords & AdSense and Yahoo’s Search Marketing, YPN and other products allegedly infringe on. Another patent Xerox [...]
- Google To Drop Ad Manager For DoubleClick For Publishers
Google announced that the almost two year old Google Ad Manager is ultimately going to be replaced by DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP). Google explained: DFP comes in two flavors, tailored for different publishers’ needs: DoubleClick for Publishers, for the largest online publishers, and DFP Small Business, a simple, free version designed for growing online publishers. We’ll be [...]
- Wired On Google’s Algorithm
Exclusive: How Google’s Algorithm Rules the Web from Wired has an excellent and detailed look at the evolution Google’s search algorithm over the years. It is a pretty long write up, so I wanted to highlight those key points in bullet format for you all. [...]
- Link Building vs. Link Marketing: What’s The Difference?
Many people think of link building as purely an SEO endeavor. You build links to improve rank. I’ll argue this is the wrong way to think about link building, but not here in today’s column. I’ve accepted that when people use the phrase link building, chances are the word Google is not far from coming [...]
- By The Numbers: Twitter Vs. Facebook Vs. Google Buzz
Twitter caused a stir Monday when it lifted its curtain enough to show us how much activity the service is seeing currently, and how it’s grown since 2007. And while many reports talk about visits to Twitter.com flattening, Twitter’s own chart showing the number of tweets its users are publishing is staggering. [...]
- Google Resumes China Talks Despite Evidence Of Govt-Hacking Connection
According to the Wall Street Journal, Google has re-engaged with China around its ability to continue operating its number two search engine in the country in an “unfiltered” way. The Chinese have given no public indications that they will permit this in the country, which is ruled by state control of speech and media. The WSJ [...]
- Forget Domains & Hosting: International Web Content Management Is King!
Is your international search marketing suffering from content avoidance syndrome? Are domains and hosting top of the list with a little dabbling in managing duplication? It’s not too late – if you’ve recognized the problem you’re halfway to solving it and focusing more on content investment!
- How Google Buzz Hijacks Your Google Profile
Google Profiles existed long before the launch of Google Buzz earlier this month. But since that time, Google Buzz has hijacked Google Profiles in a way unmatched by any other Google product. That’s bad news for those who want to fully opt-out of Google Buzz. Doing so kills your Google Profile. It’s also bad news [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Uploading your Picasa Web Albums pictures into Panoramio, Google LatLong
- AOL Moves to Build Tech ‘Newsroom of the Future’, BusinessWeek
- Lawmakers tweet up a storm in D.C., latimes.com
- Polyvore Hires Former Google Executive as Chief, New York Times
- Twitter Ad Platform ‘Imminent’, MediaPost
Local, Maps & Mobile
- U.S. Local Advertising Revenues to Reach $144.9B in 2014 – Rebound expected to start in 2012, www.kelseygroup.com
Paid Search & Contextual
- The ROI of Buying Google AdWords Ads for Longtail Keywords, ppcblog.com
- Why The Client Discovery Phase Is Most Important for PPC Marketers, SEM Geek
- People Searching for "Cancel Google" End Up on Wrong Page, Add Comments, Google Blogoscoped
- Super Bowl Ad Searches, weblogs.hitwise.com
- Use Zhuyin in Search Suggestions in Yahoo! Taiwan, Yahoo Search Blog
- SearchFest 2010 Mini-Interview: Dustin Woodard, www.sempdx.org
- SMX West 2010 Live Blog Coverage Schedule, Search Engine Roundtable
- Top 10 Reasons To Attend SearchFest 2010, www.sempdx.org
SEO & SEM
- 3 Steps for Optimizing Content for Long Tail Keywords, SEO Book
- Defending Against Proxy Hijacks, Search Engine Roundtable
- How to Get the Most Out of Your SEO, SEOmoz
- How to Leverage Traffic Besides Using Organic Search, Search Engine Journal
- How to SEO Flash in 2010, www.getelastic.com
- SEO 101 – Part 9: Everything You Need To Know About Keyword Core Terms, Search Engine Guide
- SEO for Startups: Top 7 Lessons A Trip to YCombinator, SEOmoz
- SEO Tips for Expired Product Pages and Closed Auction Pages, www.wolf-howl.com
- Writing for Attention: Ammunition for Personalised Search, Search Engine Journal
- 11 Characteristics of Highly Influential Bloggers, Techipedia
- Google Buzz: 5 Opportunities for Small Businesses, www.openforum.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- YouTube Update: Bulk Uploader Discontinued & Misc Bugs, Search Engine Roundtable
- Web Analytics Reporting – Small Business Tips On SEO and Social Media Metrics, Online Marketing Blog
- What Do I Do With All This Data?, www.ysmblog.com
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- How to Avoid Launching a Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Social Engagement Campaign
- Is Your Twitter Audience Listening?
- A roundup of the 15 best multivariate testing (MVT) apps (includes Google Website Optimizer)
- Interview with Link Building Expert Arnie Kuenn
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.