Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: Google Business Photos & Chat, AdWords Spring Cleaning & Google Unwanted Downloads
Barry Schwartz on February 24, 2015 at 5:00 pm
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Search Tests “Chat” Button In Local Business Box
Google is testing showing a live chat button in the local search box within the web search results for some businesses.
- No Whammies! Google To Test Social Casino Game Ads
Ads to appear across Google ad networks including mobile apps, search, display and video.
- Google Gives Businesses More Photo Control With My Business Upgrade
New photo section includes the ability to choose between profile, logo and cover images as display for maps and search.
- Local Search Provider YP Offers All-Inclusive PPC Search Product For SMBs
Local search provider YP has launched a one-stop-shop local PPC solution targeting small and medium businesses. It combines YP’s own PPC-search inventory with paid-search ads on Google, Yahoo and Bing. The company has been a Google AdWords Premier SMB Partner for years, as well as a Yahoo Bing Network Strategic Ambassador. Now it’s adding its own PPC search inventory to […]
- SEO Platforms: How To Get The Most Of The Demo Call
Getting ready to demo some SEO software platforms? Be sure to come armed with questions, from the newly updated SEO Platforms 2015: A Marketer’s Guide
- AdWords Spring Cleaning Coming: Detritus Be Gone, But You’ll Have to Think Before You Remove
Unused ads, ad groups and campaigns will be deleted and “remove” will be a permanent move across the board.
- It’s A Trap! Avoid These 4 Pitfalls In Paid Search
Search engine marketing has improved vastly since its early days, but columnist Jared Del Prete notes that advertisers still make some of the same mistakes.
- Google Now Warns You Before You Visit Sites That Contain Harmful Downloads
Google releases a new security measure to warn users before they visit sites that contain nefarious downloads.
- Optimizing For The Google Quick Answers Box
Columnist Jim Yu of BrightEdge and Kirill Kronrod of Adobe share tips for getting your content featured in Google’s Quick Answer box.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Report: Apple, Android Now 96 Percent Of Smartphones Globally
- Only Organic Enlists Kids To Perform ‘New MacDonald Had A Farm’ For Organic Food Awareness Effort
- Facebook Passes 2 Million Advertisers, Launches Ads Manager App For iOS
- 8 Things ISPs Really Want Email Marketers To Know
- European Report: Facebook’s Privacy Terms, Practices Violate EU Regulations
- 5 Ways Paid Search Can Support SEO In Retail
- Making The Case For Content Marketing
- Twitter’s “While You Were Away” Feature Lands On Android
- Without Ellen’s Selfie, Oscar Tweets Fall By Nearly 50%
Search News From Around The Web:
Local & Maps
- Google My Business Categories Now Requires A Primary Category, Search Engine Roundtable
- Measuring in Google Earth Pro, Google Earth Blog
- Top 10 Mapping APIs: Google Maps, Microsoft Bing Maps and MapQuest, ProgrammableWeb
- Manual Penalty Removal: An Ahrefs Case Study, Ahrefs Blog
- SEO Lessons Learned from a Penguin 3.0 Recovery, Arvid Linde | LinkedIn
- 15 SEO Best Practices for Structuring URLs, Moz
- Empirical Study of Web Site Speed on Search Ranking Position, websiteoptimization.com
- Google News Supports Sitemap Only Crawling, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Panda Turns Four Years Old Today, Search Engine Roundtable
- How to Be a Mini SEO Data Scientist, SEMrush Blog
- How To Integrate SEO into the Marketing Mix! #SEMrushchat, SEMrush Blog
- SEO 101: The 29-Point SEO Checklist, BruceClay.com
- SEO 101: The 29-Point SEO Checklist, www.bruceclay.com
- The Top 10 Best Resources to Learn About SEO, www.verticalresponse.com
- Why Blogging Is Crucial for Your Local SEO Strategy, Renegade Search
SEM / Paid Search
- Bing Ads Power Tools Series: End the Data Scavenger Hunt with the Top Movers Report, Bing Ads Blog
- How to Work with Legal & Brand Management For Better Ad Testing, Certified Knowledge
- New CallOnly creative type in AdWords API, Google Ads Developer Blog
- Punch AdWords In The Face With These 5 Easy Scripts, PPC Hero
- When the Best Paid Search Landing Page Isn’t the Obvious One, RKG Blog
- 6 Search Marketing Tactics for Manufacturing and Industrial Marketers, komarketingassociates.com