SearchCap: Google Flash Mobile Warnings, Bing Webmaster Communication & Cortana Gets Academic
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing Admits They Need To Do Better With Webmaster Communication
In a blog post today on the Bing Webmaster Blog, Bing’s Igor Rondel, Principal Development Manager of the Index Quality team, said you can expect Bing to do more proactive communication on the Bing Webmaster Blog in the future. Igor said Bing needs “to do a better job of proactively communicating updates” and they realize […]
- RKG Q2 Report: US Search Ad Spend Up 23 Percent YoY, Both Google And Bing Ad Spend Rise
After slowing down after the holiday season, US paid search performance metrics are up both year-over-year and quarter-over-quarter in Q2 2014 according to RKG’s quarterly report. Ad spend rose 23 percent year-over-year among RKG’s retail-heavy client base. Both Google and Bing saw spend increases. Non-Brand Search Trends Overall spend on Google rose 24 percent year-over-year. […]
- Google Adds Zip Code Matches In Knowledge Graph Carousel
Google has added zip code matches and lookups to the knowledge graph section of the search results. If you search for [new york, ny zip codes] in Google, you will be presented with all of the zip codes in that location. This loads a carousel that lets you slide through the various options: When you […]
- Paid Search Spend Rose 21 Percent YoY In Q2, With Mobile Up 98 Percent [Covario]
Global paid search investment continued its rise through the first half of 2014, according to Covario’s latest quarterly analysis of search spend. Overall spend among the firm’s clients rose 21 percent in the second quarter year-over-year, and 2 percent over the first quarter of 2014. Mobile search spend nearly doubled, rising 98 percent year-over-year and […]
- DoubleClick Search Solution Center Offers Wealth of Resources for Digital Search Marketers
We are pleased to announce a new resource for digital marketers and search marketers on Search Engine Land, the DoubleClick Search Solution Center. This new center contains a number of customer success stories told through videos, several white papers and case studies that explore the reasons and ROI of search platforms; a curated news feed […]
- Should You Be Bidding On Your Brand Terms For Your Search Ads?
While many advertisers have bought into the idea of bidding on search terms that include their brand name, there are still plenty of smart people that question the incrementality of such a practice. We’ve questioned it ourselves, most recently in a 2012 study. That study looked at incremental clicks in instances where you’re already appearing […]
- Using Adobe Flash For Your Web Site? Google Mobile Results Will Issue Searchers A Warning.
Flash, Adobe’s multimedia based web site technology, is not a friend of mobile devices or search spiders and now Google has decided to step up their campaign against such sites using the technology. Google announced that starting today, they will be issuing warnings to searchers when their algorithms detect that the web site is not […]
- Bing & Cortana To Get Academic Search Integration At A Whole New Level
Microsoft shared details about their future plans for deeply integrating academic data/search into the Bing search engine. Starting this Fall, Microsoft said they “will be able to point the way to a wealth of information from the academic community.” Microsoft explained that currently Cortana, Microsoft’s version of Google Now and Apple Siri, is powered by […]
- Changing Existing Links: Perfectly Normal — Except When It Isn’t
You may have recently read Links That Change Are Trusted Less By Google’s Algorithms, which was sparked by a recent tweet from a former Google employee regarding changing links: Did you know Google is less likely to trust a link once it has changed from the 1st time it was seen? — Pedro Dias (@pedrodias) July 1, […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Survey: Best Way To Reach Millennials Is On Social Media
- Twitter Pushes Advertising Support Via Mobile App Notifications
- David Letterman (Sort Of), Justin Bieber (Kinda), Renee Zellweger (Perhaps) Endorse Amazon (Advertising)
- DoubleClick Gains Viewable Impression Reporting With Google’s Active View Solution
- Introducing “Holiday Retailer,” Preparing You For Black Friday, Cyber Monday & Beyond
- E-Commerce Holiday Preparation – Making A List (And Checking It Twice)
- Twitter Puts A Hit On Companies Attempting To Provide User-Base Stats
- As A Marketing Exec, What Keeps You Up At Night?
- The Talent Land Grab For Technical Marketers: How To Win
- Twitter Bets Big On World Cup, Scores With Engagement Records
- Study: Facebook Ads That Tell A Brand Story Beat Traditional Performance Ads
- Facebook Vs. YouTube: Which Site Has More U.S. Visitors?
Search News From Around The Web:
Local & Maps
- 4 Easy Ways to Visualize Excel Data on Bing Maps, Bing Maps Blog
- Bing Search App Now Lets Your Browse Nearby Bing Offers, Sync Images to Bing Desktop, iClarified
- From superheroes to the battle of the battles—the World Cup through search, Official Google Blog
- How to Create an SEO and Online Marketing Dashboard, aleydasolis.com
- Emoji Characters Still Work On Google Search Results In iPhone, Search Engine Roundtable
- A Nutshell Guide To a Successful Office Move, Builtvisible
- Mobile Website Pitfalls to Avoid for SEO, BruceClay.com
- Why do Google penalties exist? Spam, Pandas and Penguins!, Vertical Leap
SEM / Paid Search
- 10 Tips for a Successful PPC Account Launch, SEMrush Blog
- 6 Tips For Performing An Effective PPC Account Audit, PPC Hero
- Audit your AdWords Campaigns for Conversions and Profit: Clicks, 3Q Digital
- Scale your Shopping campaigns with bulk uploads and AdWords Editor, Inside AdWords
- Talk Is Cheap, But Long Tail Keywords Are Not – The Power of Seeds, PPC Hero
- 5 Digital Themes All Search Marketers Should Be Thinking About, Bing Ads Blog
- Capturing Traffic vs. Generating Demand, neptunemoon.net
- Get Ahead of Google with Insight into Semiotics, Moz
- Three Lessons from Intel’s SEM Success, The ROI Revolution Blog
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.