Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: Google Image Bug, Bing Search Tests & App Linking
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing Tests New Search Results Design & Top Navigation
Bing is testing several new interfaces for their search results. The tests interface includes moving the top navigation below the search box, using yellow lines above or on the left side of the navigation menus and/or gray arrows integrated with the top box above. The current design has a solid black top bar with the […]
- Google Image Search Bug Leads To Duplicate Russian Auto Accident Images In Search Results
This morning, for a few hours, searchers looking for images using Google Image search were presented with an image of a Russian automobile accident in the search results. Searching for dogs to cats, screen shots to flowers and diapers to pornography were all presented with the same image of an accident in Russia. The issue […]
- Bid Management Science Explained
Ever wonder what goes on behind the scenes with your bid management software? Learn more about how your bids are calculated.
- How To Prove The Value Of SEO Without Drowning In Data
Having a tough time communicating the value of SEO to your C-Suite? Erin Everhart provides some tips on how to tackle this common issue.
- New Google Easter Egg For SEO Geeks: Server Status 418, I’m A Teapot
Google has a new easter egg, mostly designed for server geeks and SEO geeks, at google.com/teapot. The page itself serves up an 418 response code, which is a server status code, named “I’m a teapot.” The 418 code itself was an April Fools Joke from 1998 and is not meant to be implemented or be […]
- Bing Quietly Rolls Out App Linking, Connecting Search Results To App
With Google, Facebook and Twitter heavily promoting ways to promote apps within search and ads, few are taking notice of Bing’s efforts on that front. Bing has offered Bing App Linking since at least March 2014 but no one has really noticed. App Linking works in a similar way to Google App Indexing but specifically […]
- Google Search Offers Up Multiple Travel Options To Help Users Avoid Traffic Complications
According to a Google+ post, Google Search now displays multiple travel options and estimated route times on a single card when users search for traffic directions. From the post: The aim is to help users determine the fastest way to get to where they’re going, in as few views as possible.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- That Ridiculous East Hills Mall Ad Now Has Over 2 Million Views
- New: You Can Now Import Google+ Videos To YouTube
- Apple iAD Introduces Ad Units Designed For Brands, Expands To Two More Countries
- Instagram Releases Hyperlapse, An iOS App To Help You Shoot Video Like Scorsese
- Report: Screens, Carrier Networks And Staff Drive Smartphone Sales
- “Yahoo Recommend” Brings Stream Ads To Third-Party Sites
- Have You Done These 5 App Store Optimizations?
- Twitter Expands Ads To 12 More Non-US Markets
- Ready For Strangers Shopping Your Site For The Holidays?
- Bizible Launches Cross-Channel Analytics For B2B Marketers
- Pinterest Launches Analytics Upgrade; It’s Available Today To All Business Accounts
- B2B Marketers: Why Organic Content Is Your Weapon Of Choice
- HubSpot Files For $100 Million IPO
Search News From Around The Web:
- aimClear Plays Great Game of Business! CEO Laura Weintraub Interviewed, aimClear Blog
- PPC Hero Interviews Brad Geddes, PPC Hero
- SEMrush Pro Q&A with Joe Griffin and Jay Swansson, SEMrush Blog
Local & Maps
- A Hack to Track Local Carousel Traffic, SEER Interactive
- Know of a sale? A special show? A monthly special? Introducing ephemeral tips in the all-new Foursquare., The Foursquare Blog
- Google Penguin Penalty Removal Can be Guaranteed… But Recovery Can Not., internetmarketingninjas.com
- Power User Tips: Customising your Majestic, Majestic SEO Blog
- Add YouTube Search Results to a Playlist, Google Operating System
- Find videos uploaded from any location with the YouTube Data API v3, YouTube API Blog
- Google removes link to Telegraph story on ‘nude swearing vicar’, Telegraph
- 20+ Metrics for Measuring B2B SEO Performance, komarketingassociates.com
- Back to SEO Basics: Why Relevant External Links Matter, Vertical Measures
- Google Plus Search Power: Personalized Punch for Your Target Market, Stone Temple
- How You Can Create A Mobile Friendly Online Store, Search Engine People Blog
- Invalid HTTPS Pages Still Get Google Ranking Boost Based On URL Being HTTPS, Search Engine Roundtable
- Negative SEO: Should You Be Worried? If Attacked, What Should You Do?, Moz
- Press Releases Still an SEO Strategy? The Experts Speak, authoritylabs.com
SEM / Paid Search
- Visual improvements to AdWords AdWords might look a little different today.…, Google+ – Google Ads
- A Guide to the New Profit-Driven Marketing Movement, Inside AdWords
- AdWords Scripts: isDeleted method is now deprecated, Google Ads Developer Blog
- #NoHacked: a global campaign to spread hacking awareness, Official Google Webmaster Central Blog
- 10 Tips to Take the Moz Tools to the Next Level, moz.com