Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: Google local pack mentions, Google Shopping reports & PPC evals
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google local pack tests displaying website mentions matching your query
Aug 30, 2017 by Barry Schwartz
Google local results is aware of the content on the local business website and may even show the matching keyword in the local pack snippets.
- Google Shopping gets top spot impression share & product diagnostics reporting
Aug 31, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
The updates are available in the new AdWords interface.
- Evaluating PPC talent, part 2: The test
Aug 31, 2017 by Brett Middleton
In part 2 of his series on evaluating PPC candidates, columnist Brett Middleton shares some tests you can administer to determine whether a potential hire is a good fit for your business.
- Why microsites aren’t always ideal for SEO
Aug 31, 2017 by Janet Driscoll Miller
Microsites have their uses, but columnist Janet Driscoll Miller argues that they can often create unnecessary headaches for search engine optimization professionals.
- Google My Business fixes week-long reporting bug with photo insights
Aug 31, 2017 by Barry Schwartz
Google has finally fixed the Google Insights reports in Google My Business.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Your account structure might be hurting performance. Here’s why (and how to fix it)
- Why real-time attribution is (mostly) irrelevant, and what to do instead
- Lookalike modeling breathing new life into old channels
- Google says we don’t need no stinking location modifiers… or do we?
- Google launches AdSense User First beta to test if fewer ads & better targeting can make more money for publishers
- 3 reasons I deleted your cold outreach email
- Lithium adds Jive-x tech to its customer community platform
- Fuze CMO: A single source of truth for customer data ‘collapses under its own weight’
- Buying a pre-owned domain? Check these 10 things first
- Survey: More consumers seeking to buy directly from brands vs. retailers
Search News From Around The Web:
- Tim Armstrong on how Yahoo and AOL can compete with Facebook and Google, Recode
- VIDEO: Barry Schwartz Reflects on Early ’90s SEO, Sixth City Marketing
Local & Maps
- Which Cities & Cateogries Currently Have Google Home Service Ads & Advanced Verification, Mike Blumenthal
- Explore your new campus with Google Maps, Google Blog
- Ranking your local business part 6: The impact of reviews, Yoast
- Link Rot is Normal Website Maintenance: Google Confirmed, Bill Hartzer
- Say it with stickers!, Google Blog
- Craft Beer Marketing: How to Integrate SEO into Your Campaigns, Site Visibility
- Google Says They’ve Changed The Way They Think About The Panda Algorithm, Search Engine Roundtable
- Ranking #1 is Pointless – Here’s Why Your SEO Goal Is Leads & Sales, Search Engine Journal
SEM / Paid Search
- Amazon Opens Up Headline Search Ads to Third-Party Sellers, Merkle
- Bing Exact Match Close Variant Update, PPC Hero
- Connect Directly With Customers Using Google AdWords Message Extensions, Metric Theory
- Google AdWords Testing More Sitelinks Dropdown Button, Search Engine Roundtable