Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: Google Magazine Ad Format, India Investigates Google & Bing Encourages Schema Markup
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- With New GDN Ad Format, Text Ads Will Compete In Display Auctions
Today, Google unveiled a new ad format on the Google Display Network (GDN) called magazine ads in which text ads are converted to show as “display-like” ads on publisher sites that have opted only to show display ads in their AdSense accounts. The implication for AdWords advertisers is that text ads on the Google Display […]
- MarTech: The Marketing Tech Conference – Agenda & Speaker Roster Now Live!
Search Engine Land parent company Third Door Media, Inc. introduces MarTech, a conference for people pioneering the field of technology-powered marketing, which will be held in Boston August 19-20, 2014. View the list of speakers & session descriptions on the agenda. Learn how technology can transform your marketing operations. Register now & save $300!
- India Opens Second Google Antitrust Investigation Over AdWords
Google is in the midst of an antitrust, anti-competition investigation in India. Not long ago, the company was fined by the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for not cooperating in that investigation: “not providing information and documents required.” Now a separate anti-competition investigation has been opened with the CCI. In that investigation an individual, Vishal Gupta, has […]
- Google Readies For Flood Of Removal Requests After EU “Right To Be Forgotten” Ruling
The floodgates have opened. According to a Reuters story, following Tuesday’s European Court ruling establishing a Europe-wide “right to be forgotten” (RTF), Google is preparing for an anticipated “flood” of removal requests across the 28 country jurisdiction. The ruling provided a right to individuals to request (and ultimately compel) removal of unflattering or undesired information about […]
- Were You Really Hit By A Search Engine Penalty, Or Is It Something Else?
Often, I’ll speak to prospective clients who think they’ve been hit by an algorithm update or a penalty. They’ve lost a lot of organic traffic, so they immediately think that a search engine change is to blame. Unfortunately, I’ve also run into many situations where SEOs are using algorithm updates such as Panda or Penguin […]
- 7 Conversion Rate Truths That Will Change Your Landing Page Strategy
Much of what marketers have learned about landing page conversion is wrong. Worse, the optimizations promoted across industry blogs, courses and at conferences as game changers are really just best practices every marketer should have implemented already. Tweaking headline and body copy, adjusting line spacing, repositioning buttons, playing with fonts and colors – all of […]
- Bing: Adding Markup & Schema Is “Worth” It For Search Engines
Duane Forrester from Bing posted a new article on the Bing Search Blog named Mark It Up. In the article, Duane explained the upmost importance of marking up your content with schema and meta data. Duane said “it’s worth completing this work to help the engines understand your content more clearly.” Why? Duane explained that […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- New AdSense “Magazine” Ads Render Text Ads In Display Formats
- Monocle-Wearing Hipsters, Glassholes & Vine Lead To The ‘Stupidification Of Society’
- Tweet And Repeat: The Power Of Sharing And Sharing Again
- Last-Mile Local Marketing With Mobile: An #LSA14 Retrospective
- Now You Can Pull RSS Feeds Into Buffer’s Social Media Management Tool
- Three Well-Known Travel Apps Launch On Google Glass
- Star This Study: Data Uncovers The Rationale Behind Tweet Favoriting
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google’s Schmidt Says Europe Court Struck Wrong Balance in Privacy Case, Wall Street Journal
- How to Build Your Brand With Link Building, Search Engine People
- The Future of PageRank: 13 Experts on the Dwindling Value of the Link, Search Engine Journal
Local & Maps
- Announcing the MozCon 2014 Community Speakers, Moz
- Sudden Spike In Referrers From Yahoo’s hsrd.yahoo.com, Search Engine Roundtable
SEM / Paid Search
- Get Started Australia (Part 4/9): Campaign and Ad Group Structure, Settings and Strategy, advertise.bingads.microsoft.com
- The Geo-Specific Ads Problem: How to Beat Google’s New Policy, 3Q Digital
- 5 SEO Client Types to Avoid at All Costs, SEO Copywriting
- Category vs. Filter Pages: Which Is Better for SEO, CopyPress
- How SEO helps Tesco to dominate the online grocery market, eConsultancy
- How to Improve Your Local SEO, Renegade Search
- Parallax Design and SEO, Raven