Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: Google offensive, local SEO & small business
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google studying ways to deal with offensive search suggestions & results
Dec 16, 2016 by Danny Sullivan
Facing criticism over “fake news,” inappropriate search suggestions and more, the search company is looking for long-term and comprehensive solutions.
- Can SEOs make local search great again in 2017?
Dec 19, 2016 by Andrew Shotland
The road ahead looks rough for local SEO practitioners and agencies, but is there hope? Columnist Andrew Shotland takes a look at what recent trends mean for those who serve local search clients.
- Small business owners: 3 steps to creating accurate Google Analytics reports
Dec 19, 2016 by Dianna Huff
Raw traffic data in Google Analytics isn’t always accurate. In this helpful how-to, columnist Dianna Huff shows Analytics beginners how to create a filter that excludes spam traffic and traffic from internal sources.
- Steve Biko Google doodle honors anti-apartheid activist & founder of the Black Consciousness Movement
Dec 18, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Biko spent his life fighting South Africa’s apartheid policies and racial injustice.
- What you should look for in a SEO solution
Dec 19, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
With hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands, and even millions of pages, sites, and keywords to manage and optimize, SEO has become increasingly complicated and time-consuming. Using an SEO software platform can increase efficiency and productivity while reducing the time and errors involved in managing organic search campaign. Marketing Land’s “Enterprise SEO Platforms: A Marketer’s Guide” […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- 51% of US adults have bought something online via their cellphones [Pew data]
- Google studying ways to fix offensive search suggestions & results
- Why you should budget for call tracking in 2017
- Should you create device-specific PPC campaigns?
- Why data amplifiers matter in a world of omnichannel discovery
- Walmart’s 2016 holiday videos on YouTube have earned over 75M views – far more than any other brand
- IBM’s Watson is now working as a psychologist for ad tech firm Unruly
- Shaping the shopping experience: Our top retail columns for 2016
- 5 steps to making ‘SENSE’ of early lifecycle marketing
- On brands, death and social media
- Marketing Land’s Top 10 News Stories Of 2016: Facebook’s measurement errors, Snapchat geofilters & more
- Measuring cost in seconds: How short delays lead to users ditching slow websites
Search News From Around The Web:
Local & Maps
- Google Maps is now wheelchair-friendly thanks to ‘20% time’ employee project, Business Insider
- Apple radically expands UK transit info in Maps, adds Salt Lake City in US, appleinsider.com
- Google Adds More Filtering Options to Local Business 3-Pack, thesempost.com
- Google Answer Boxes Can Appear in Site Searches, Bill Hartzer
- 13 SEO Experts Give Their Biggest Takeaway of 2016 In The World Of SEO, Majestic Blog
- Bing Webmaster Tools Gets A Redesign, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Gives Clearance To Go Ahead With HTTP2 With GoogleBot, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google: Wikipedia Isn’t Given Any Special Ranking Treatment, Search Engine Roundtable
- How Google Handles New HTTPS Pages With Mixed Content Warnings, thesempost.com
- SEO and Digital Trends in 2017, Moz
- SEO basics: What is content marketing?, Yoast
- The Impossible SEO Tool That We Need in 2017, semrush.com
- Why Content Length Does Not Equal Content Quality, Stone Temple
SEM / Paid Search
- Ad Impression Share: Quantity Or Quality?, PPC Hero
- Five ways to ready your family travel campaigns for takeoff, Bing Ads Blog