Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
SearchCap: “Illegitimate” SEO Sentenced, German Publishers Sue Google & App Indexing Crawl Errors
Barry Schwartz on January 6, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- “Illegitimate” SEO Sentenced To 37 Months In Federal Prison For Extortion
Jan 6, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
An SEO named William Stanley was sentenced to more than three years in prison and ordered to pay $174,888 in fees for SEO extortion.
- German Publisher Group Sues Google Again Under Draconian Copyright Law
Jan 6, 2016 by Greg Sterling
A group of German publishers has filed a civil complaint against Google. The group, constituted as VG Media, claims to be enforcing Germany’s “Ancillary Copyright” Law, passed in 2013. This is the latest episode in an ongoing dispute between German news publishers and Google. Essentially, the publishers are suing to get Google to pay them […]
- Six Trends Shaping Location Marketing In 2016
Jan 6, 2016 by Adam Dorfman
How will local marketing change this year? From apps to beacons to mobile wallets, columnist Adam Dorfman covers six trends local search marketers should pay attention to.
- Google Revamps The Android App-Indexing Crawl Errors Report In The Search Console
Jan 6, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
Google has updated the broken crawl error report for App Indexing in the Google Search Console. And now there are three app crawl error types in Search Console.
- Enhance Search Engagement With A Complementary Paid & Organic Visibility Strategy
Jan 6, 2016 by Thomas Stern
Columnist Thomas Stern explains how paid and organic search efforts can be used together to boost ROI through increased brand awareness and visitor engagement.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- CES Live Blog: How Vice Media Dominates Multi-Platform
- CES Live Blog: 2016 Media Outlook: Group M & Nestle
- Instagram Advertising: What’s Working?
- Amid Growth Doubts, Apple Touts App-Store Success: $20B In 2015, 4.5 Million Jobs
- Miss Piggy Leads The Way To A New Kind Of Marketing Channel
- The Definitive Guide To Digital Brand Lift
- MarTech Today: 10,000-Character Tweets, Phablets & Snapchat API
Search News From Around The Web:
- Scientology says Google gave it $6 million in free advertising, Business Insider
Local & Maps
- How Many Views Do Your Reviews Get? Find Out Now!, Yelp Official Blog
- Update to the Google Maps APIs Premium Plan, Official Google for Work Blog
- Bing Adds “Watch Now” Links to Movie and TV Knowledge Panels, thesempost.com
- Bing Predicts: New England to repeat as pro football champions, Bing Search Blog
- Connecting All the Information Dots Through Search, www.cmswire.com
- Google Bolding Keywords in Local Reviews in Knowledge Panel, thesempost.com
- Social Search Engines Are Dead. Long Live Social Search Engines., State of Digital
- 18 Ways to Avoid Google Penalties, Ignite Visibility
- Google Says Decimal Points In URLs Are A Bad Idea, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Says Self-Signed SSL Certificate Won’t Work For HTTPS Ranking Boost, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Update Yesterday: I’m Not Too Sure., Search Engine Roundtable
- How To Run A Quick Health Check Of Top Landing Pages When Seeing a Drop In Organic Search Traffic, hmtweb.com
- January 2016 Google Webmaster Report: Penguin, Updates, HTTPS, & Search Console, Search Engine Roundtable
- The Importance Of Placement: SEO And Site Format, thesempost.com