Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, July 12, 2011
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Today On Google+: Booming Adoption, Suspension Info, Spam Blocking & More!
Below is today’s top news relating to Google+, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. Adoption Rates Google+ Vaulting Past 10 Million User Mark by eWeek’s Clint Boulton covers the stats behind Google+’s massive user influx. This report comes on the heels from Paul Allen’s report of 4.5 million users yesterday. Boulton […]
- How CDBaby Built 20,000 Citations With One E-Mail
CDBaby* is an online distributor of independent music. Founded by well-known entrepreneur Derek Sivers, the service became a huge hit with independent musicians because it offered the first easy way for artists to distribute and sell their music online. Sivers, a professional musician, took CDBaby on a unique path that differentiates it from many other businesses […]
- Yandex Launches English-Language Version Its Webmaster Tools
Russian search engine Yandex has launched an English-language version of Yandex.Webmaster, its suite of webmaster tools. The service can be reached at webmaster.yandex.com. If you’ve used the Google and/or Bing webmaster portals, Yandex’s will be familiar to you. On sign-up, users have five options to confirm site ownership: HTML file, meta tag, text file, WHOIS […]
- The Power Of Hashtags On Twitter
Hashtags are the world’s chat room. Where else can you hop on the phone or computer and have an instant, passionate conversation about something that shares a hashtag? When it comes to primetime television, current events, or sports events like the Olympics or the Super Bowl, hashtags allow anyone with a Twitter account to take […]
- Agencies: Global Search Spend Growth Slows in Q2
Global growth in search marketing spend slowed in the second quarter, according to reports from two large agencies, Covario and Efficient Frontier. Data released this week is consistent with an earlier report from Citibank. According to Efficient Frontier, search spend grew only 8% in the second quarter, as compared to the same period in 2010. […]
- The Most Engaged Population In Europe Is Dutch But The Future Is Russian
Based on the growth of active users in markets such as Russia and Turkey, maybe it’s time to consider changing the targeting of your international business. Meanwhile, the most active users and the most active population in Europe right now is Dutch! Who would’ve guessed?
- The St. Basil’s Cathedral Google Logo
Today is the 450th Anniversary of the St. Basil’s Cathedral, which had its groundbreaking in 1555 and was officially completed on July 12, 1561. It is a Russian Orthodox church erected on the Red Square in Moscow. The building looks like no other building in Russia and has 9 domes and 2 spires. Their official […]
- Google Offers Go Live In SF, NY & On Upgraded “Shopper” App
Following a relatively successful launch in Portland last month Google is now rolling out Google Offers in two more markets: San Francisco and New York. Google has also updated its Shopper Android app to include deals. The app is generally focused on products but now contains tabs that allow users to access the featured daily […]
- Bing Maps Tweaks Its Navigation
Bing has announced a set of much-needed tweaks to the Bing Maps user interface. Rather than scattering navigation options both above and below (not to mention off to the side of) the map itself, all menu options are now accessible in a nav bar that stretches across the screen above the map. It’s a much […]
- Report: Google Cooking Up Ad Data Exchange
Google is reportedly developing technology that would create a market for data designed to help target display ads better, according to a report in Ad Age that cites “executives familiar with Google’s plans.” The story says the data exchange is known internally as “DDP,” and, according to comments made by Google ad chief Neil Mohan, […]
- Google+ Vs. Twitter: A Personal View
As Google+ goes into its second week of life, how’s the service doing? I could quote some numbers. I will, below! But I wanted to do a personal take contrasting it against another social site that I find essential. Not Facebook. Twitter. Me & Facebook Yes, I have a personal Facebook account. But I do […]
- Today on Google+: Changes Promised This Week, Gmail Integration Promised & Cartoons!
Below is today’s top news relating to Google+, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. Problems & Changes Changes Are Coming To Google+ – From ComputerWorld, a report that the many Google+ criticisms are making their way to top Google execs, and that changes will be rolled out this week. […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Global SPAM filtering, Google Voice Blog
- Facebook’s New Director of Product Comes from Google, AllThingsD
- Foursquare Partners Up, Wall Street Journal
- Judge: It’s ‘possible’ Google knew of Java violation, www.itworld.com
- Essential [But Often Ignored] Linkbuilding Guidelines, www.blueglass.com
Local, Maps & Mobile
- New & Free: USGS Releases More than 200,000 Historical Maps From 1884-2006, infodocket.com
- Local.com Acquires Screamin’ Daily Deals For Up To $32.5 Million, TechCrunch
Paid Search & Contextual
- Google Display Network: Announcing changes to campaign settings, Inside AdWords
- Google Hand Holding Brings Pharma to YouTube, ClickZ
- Introducing Wolfram Personal Assistant Apps for iOS, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- The future of search: Serendipitous Search?, econsultancy.com
- Why SEOs Hate Developers, outspokenmedia.com
SEO & SEM
- 3 Big Differences Between Bing AdCenter And Google AdWords, Search Engine People
- A Holistic Look at Panda with Vanessa Fox, Stone Temple
- ‚Ä™Do robots follow links on a page which uses rel="canonical" to point to a different page?‚Ä¨, YouTube
- City Visitor Hit By Panda, UK Update Kills City Visitor Traffic After Panda, seowizz.net
- How to Conduct a 100 Percent Reliable SEO Experiment, SEO Theory
- The 5 Smartest Ways To Boost Your Holiday PPC Traffic, Search Engine People
- The PPC Test You Shouldn’t Run, Search Engine Watch
- The Responsibilities of SEO Have Been Upgraded, SEOmoz
- The Trouble with "SEO Copywriting", SEO Copywriting
- InfoGraphic – Facebook vs Google (UPDATED), technobombs.com
- 40 Google Plus Tips for Newbies, MarketingProfessor.com
- A new U.S. law-enforcement tool: Facebook searches, Reuters
- Facebook for Every Phone, www.facebook.com
- Google faces thorny online identity issues, CNET News
- How to Create a Local Twitter Account, Michael Gray
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google Images Adds &surl=1, Discloses Source Image URL, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google’s Photovine Site Is Live — It Looks Like A Photo-Sharing Service, Business Insider
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- The Heart Of SEO: 8 Everlasting Truths, Part 1 – Marty uses old school business principles to illustrate truths about SEO.
- What Will Google Plus Google Places Equal? – Andrew Shotland offers up some great theoretical perspective on what Google + will mean for local search and small business marketing in general.
- How to Acquire Demographic Insights from Your Remarketing Campaign – Good post on gaining and applying demographic insights for your PPC remarketing campaigns.
- Robert Scoble Apologizes to the SEO Industry – Sometimes he just gets it wrong.