SearchCap: The Day In Search, October 29, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Search Dominates Social Networking For Product Discovery, Study Says
Search engines are the number one way that consumers find out about new products, according to a new study commissioned by commerce software developer ATG. The survey was conducted online and polled 1,002 U.S. adult consumers in July 2010. One question asked respondents to list up to five ways they discover new products. 53% of respondents [...]
- Bing Finally Getting Facebook “Liked Results”
Earlier this month, Bing announced a new deal with Facebook, where it would be showing you what your Facebook friends liked within search results. People are now reporting seeing the personalization appearing. Bing originally said the new feature was rolling out in the US when it launched on October 13 and that it would be going [...]
- Google Maps On Android Becoming An LBS Juggernaut
One area in which Google services for Android and the iPhone appear to be diverging is Maps. I’m an Android EVO owner and still have iPhone envy except in the Maps department. The combination and integration of Google Maps, Places Pages, Street View and Navigation (with the phone and contacts) has created a kind of LBS [...]
- Of SEO And Spaghetti Sauce
I can virtually guarantee that you aren’t satisfying at least one major segment of your customers.
Did you know that it took until 1989 for chunky tomato pasta sauce to come out? A guy by the name of Howard Moskowitz cracked this code for the Prego brand while they were trying desperately to defeat Ragu, the [...]
- Looking Back At Six Years of Asking Why
This week was a pretty momentous one for me. I’ve changed gigs. I’m now an employee again. A big, public company now signs my paycheck. And, up to now, that company, YPG, has made most of their money by publishing phone books. The acquisition of Enquiro is part of a much bigger digital strategy for [...]
- Italian Prosecutors Investigating Google Street View For Privacy Breach
Prosecutors in Italy are investigating Google’s Street View service to determine if the company violated privacy laws when it collected wifi data over unencrypted networks earlier this year. Officials in Rome announced the probe on Wednesday. This is separate from Italy’s request last weekend that Google mark its Street View cars and publish their itineraries in [...]
- Is Google Adding More & Fresher Tweets To Social Search?
Google Social Search — the service that adds content from your social circle to a search results page — appears to be getting an increase in tweets. And fresher tweets, at that. Social Search relies on what Google knows about your friends and connections (via your Google profile, Google Reader account, etc.) and sometimes shows content [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Sign up for Flickr with your Google Account!, Flickr Blog
- AOL Launching Another New Homepage On Monday, Business Insider
- Data Inconsistencies Resolved, blog.delicious.com
- Is Goo.gl really the fastest URL shortener? (chart), royal.pingdom.com
- Google, HP, eBay And Yahoo Fund Group Behind Pro-Death Penalty Attack Ads, TechCrunch
- YouTube CEO Chad Hurley Leaving Position To Take Advisory Role, TechCrunch
- Lax privacy rules get Google off the hook, www.itbusiness.ca
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Disable Google Place Search, Jeremy Post
- HUGE: Facebook Launching Places Powered Deals Service, All Facebook
- A New Kind of Local Search Result: The “O-Pack”?, Mihmorandum
- AOL’s Armstrong answers question, ‘Is Patch evil?’, Lost Remote
- Foursquare Doomed? Facebook Places Has 7X More Users, www.businessinsider.com
- Google Shows Wrong Flag For Turkey Republic Day, Search Engine Roundtable
Paid Search & Contextual
- Microsoft adCenter Reports Impressions Drop Bug?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Exploring Earth’s History with Wolfram|Alpha, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- 7 Scariest Things Google Says and Does [Halloween], Search Engine People
- Alibaba Group Search Engine Adds Sohu.com Search Option, Wall Street Journal
- Halloween Costume Showdown on Yahoo! Search, Yahoo Search Blog
- How to See Google Search Results for Other Locations, Search Engine Journal
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: October 29, 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Microformat Reference Guide for SEO and Developers, Search Marketing Wisdom
- The PPC Audit: Rewards for a Critical Eye, PPC Hero
- Bidding on Bing, Yahoo! Search and Partner Sites in Microsoft Advertising adCenter, adCenter Blog
- Google Update or Bug: More Complaints Over Google’s Search Results, Search Engine Roundtable
- Is Your SEO Chasing Algorithms or Chasing Analytics?, Search Engine Guide
- PPC Brand Building: How to Use Google AdWords for Brand Advertsing, ppcblog.com
- Preparing Your Small Business Site For SEO, Search Engine Watch
- Scary SEO Mishaps – Whiteboard Friday, SEOmoz
- Common Sense, For When Your Brand Won’t Save You, outspokenmedia.com
- Destroying the 7 Myths of B2B Social Media, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Facebook applies for ad-targeting patent, CNET News
- Report: Facebook Is The Fastest Social Network; Twitter And Myspace, Slowest, Forbes
- Search Vs. Social: A Game Over Before it Started, Jonathan Mendez’s Blog
- Yahoo! Search has a new home on Facebook, Yahoo Search Blog
Video, Music & Image Search
- 1 billion subscriptions and counting, YouTube Blog
- The Future of Visual Search: UPCs, QR Codes, and Augmented Reality, Search Engine Watch
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- A New Kind of Local Search Result: The “O-Pack”? – David Mihm's analysis of the major changes in the local search scene.
- What I Learned About Entrepreneurship Through 15 Angel Investments – A really awesome overview of how to treat the relationship between Angel Investor & Funded Entrepreneur.
- Is There A Benefit From Following Google's Guidelines At All? – Peter Da Vanzo about mysteriously tanked sites: "Clearly, no site is immune. You can stay within Google's Webmaster guidelines, and get taken out. I knew that anyway, but when the sites that don't follow the guidelines replace you…
….I'll admit – it grates."
- Does an In-House SEO Have a Fool for a Client? – Mike Moran writes: "I have recently gotten that question from a lawyer who wonders if he should do his own SEO, which reminds me of the old joke that a lawyers who represents himself has a fool for a client. But is it a bad idea to do your SEO in-house?"
- Google’s New Local Results – How to Adapt – A nice write from Ross Dunn at Step Forth on the importance of getting your Google Places up to date sooner rather than later.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.