Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: Offline call data, AdWords budget creep & AMP fire hose
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Allstate: offline call data improved SEM performance and the customer experience
Oct 3, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Company generated increase in quality calls and lowered customer acquisition costs.
- 3 mysterious and scary ways AdWords budget creep can happen to you
Oct 3, 2016 by Pauline Jakober
Are you feeling spooked by a mysterious rise in ad spend? Columnist Pauline Jakober takes a look at what you can do in AdWords to solve the mystery.
- How mobile has changed the way we search, based on 10+ years of eye-tracking studies
Oct 3, 2016 by Kristi Kellogg
How has the rise of mobile changed the way people view Google SERPs? Contributor Kristi Kellogg summarizes a session from SMX East in which Mediative’s Chris Pinkerton discusses the results of eye-tracking studies.
- Google opens the AMP fire hose
Oct 3, 2016 by Barb Palser
Columnist Barb Palser believes that the broad surfacing of AMP content in mobile search will expose a universe of AMP content that’s been hidden from view.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Authority & link building with real-time Penguin
- The myth of the duplicate content penalty
- Yext literally helps drive customers to stores with ‘Ride with Uber’ integration
- Prepping SEO for 2017: it’s all about the ROI
- Learn to measure Account-Based Marketing
- Why call tracking helps improve PPC lead generation account performance
- Facebook’s Marketplace gets the mobile home tab that was supposed to go to Live
- What you didn’t know about recent Quality Score changes
- Facebook’s Craigslist-style Marketplace isn’t open to brands, Page owners
- The martech lowdown: 2016 trends in review and a look at our bright future
- What brands should know about Facebook’s new and upcoming average watch time metrics
- Demandbase adds AI-powered DemandGraph to generate lists of targeted accounts
- Tackling social media myths
- MarTech Today: Gmail’s support for responsive design, PullString’s intelligent conversation platform & more
- A CMO’s View: How The Palace’s email marketing brings Detroit Pistons fans home
- Clinton wins Grubhub presidential ‘debate’ as diners cast votes with special discount codes
- How the newest Adobe-Microsoft partnership resembles ‘Jerry Maguire’
Search News From Around The Web:
- Looking Back on SMX East 2016, Overit
- Google Says Directories Often Not The Right Way To Build Links, Search Engine Roundtable
Local & Maps
- A Summary of Recent Local Pack Tests, Mike Blumenthal
- Google Showing Blue Pins in Local 3-Pack to Mark Higher Relevancy, www.thesempost.com
- Google Showing Related Category Carousels for Local Brand Queries, www.localseoguide.com
SEM / Paid Search
- Academy for Ads: On-The-Go Training for Google’s Ad Products, smallbusiness.googleblog.com
- Cross-Device Retargeting Strategies in a Post-Cookie SEM World, aimClear
- Google Testing Grey Icons in Google AdWords Mobile Ads, www.thesempost.com
- How Excel Can Do Your UTM Term Tagging For You, www.clixmarketing.com
- Using Google Analytics To Power AdWords Campaigns, PPC Hero
- Penguin 4.0 Recovery Case Studies, Marie Haynes Consulting
- The Future of SEO: Lessons from Rand Fishkin and Sarah Bird, www.inc.com
- 12% Said They Saw Ranking Improvements After Google Penguin 4.0, Search Engine Roundtable
- Most SEOs Are No Better than a Coin-Flip at Predicting Which Page Will Rank Better. Can You?, moz.com
- SEO: Reclaiming Links to Deleted Pages, Practical E-Commerce
- The Google History from an SEO Consultants Perspective, www.brianchappell.com
- Why Authority Matters to SEO, Stone Temple
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.