SearchCap: The Day In Search, April 22, 2013
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the Web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Adwords Adds Social Annotations, Targeting For In-App Ads To Enhanced Campaigns
Starting today Google is adding functionality for social annotations and in-app ad targeting to enhanced campaigns. Social annotations, really Google+ annotations, display the number of Google+ followers an advertiser has under the ad text. Here’s an example from Home Depot on a search for “dining room chairs” Social extensions have been available for nearly a [...]
- Live @ SMX London: Forget What You Know About Paid Search
Think you know everything about Google AdWords or Bing Ads? Have all the best practices nailed, are a master of match types, and have encyclopedic knowledge about gaining the upper hand when sparring with the quirky idiosyncrasies of bidding, scheduling and conversion optimization? Think again. As kung fu masters remind us, “the wise always remain [...]
- 7 Landing Page Tests You Can Run Tomorrow!
For many years, I’ve been participating in sessions/panels in which I critique PPC landing pages volunteered by audience members. As crowds go wild for this type of session, I’ve decided to use this space to focus on effective landing page elements and provide several examples thereof. #1 Use Credibility Indicators Include credibility indicators on your landing page [...]
- Google Now To Make Its Way To The Google Home Page?
As Alex Chitu from the Google Operating System blog discovered, Google is testing adding Google Now functionality to the Google home page. Google Now is about getting you the information you want to see, right when you want to see it. For example, if you are in the airport, Google Now would show you the gate [...]
- German Privacy Regulator Fines Google Over Street View Data Collection, Calls For Tougher Financial Penalties
A fine of 145,000 EUR (roughly $189,000) is trivial for Google. But that’s close to the maximum fine allowed by German law ($150,000 EUR). The fine is being imposed on Google for violations of German privacy and data protection laws stemming from the so-called “WiSpy” episode in 2008 – 2009 in which Google collected private [...]
- Conversational Marketing Benefits Local SEO
I began working for a particular type of traditional business industry recently, and I noticed that a great many of the small businesses operating within it were still proceeding as though it were pre-Internet days. They did promotions as though they were a one-way transmission instead of a dialogue. Unfortunately, that’s not the only industry [...]
- Google Experimenting With New Related Image Search Interface
Google appears to be trying on a new look for its related image search interface. While the standard interface for related image searches includes a list of the related image queries that only show image thumbnails when you mouse over the related search query term, the new interface shows a collection of images right above [...]
- Happy Earth Day! Google Celebrates With A New Doodle
Today’s Google logo celebrates Earth Day with a new interactive doodle highlighting the many wonders of nature. The logo comes with its very own checklist of things to see, making sure users catch every detail. Google is spelled with different elements of nature from the field of dandelions that makes the “G” to [...]
- Google Places For Business Gets Its Own iPhone App For Managing Listings
Local business owners have a new tool for managing their Google Places For Business listing: a dedicated app that works on the iPhone and iPod Touch. There’s no official announcement that I can find about the app, and as best I can tell, the iClarified blog was first to report on it. The Google For [...]
- One Out Of Five “Second Screeners” Look Up Advertised Product Info While Watching TV
To give further credence to consumers’ love of “second-screening” and why marketers should be salivating at the opportunities these new habits behold, Nielsen released stats on just what consumers are doing on their tablets while watching TV. Social networking sites are users’ top destinations, but consumers also seek out information about what they are watching [...]
- 70% of SMX Advanced Tickets Sold – Register Now!
Time is running out to register for SMX Advanced. With over 70% of tickets gone, we’re expecting the conference to sell out again this year… the 7th year in a row. So why does this conference book up every year? Here are the key reasons: The program: You’ll participate in expert level sessions that don’t [...]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Twitter Strikes Major Ad Deal With Agency Worth “Hundreds Of Millions”
- Tumblr Launches In-Stream Mobile Ads Today, Ahead Of Desktop
- 70% of SMX Advanced Tickets Sold – Register Now!
- Yahoo Takes Another Step Toward Growing Its Mobile Audience With New iOS App
- Facebook Home Passes 500K Downloads, Gets Mixed Reviews
- Yellow Light Social Media: Use These Tactics With Caution
- So, You Thought Site Retargeting Was Personalized?
- Comedy Central To Host A Twitter-Only Comedy Festival Next Week
- Yahoo Narrows Focus By Cutting Yahoo Kids, Upcoming, Yahoo Deals & More
- AdSense Launches New Link Unit Ad Previews, Tests Showed Higher Click-Through Rates
Search News From Around The Web:
Local Search & Maps
- Turning a critical eye on Yelp, latimes.com
- For Restaurant Owners, There May Be Nothing More Important Than Local Search, Local University
- Private Local Citations: Where Can You List Your Business But “Hide” Your Address?, www.localvisibilitysystem.com
- SEO Practices in 2013: Location, Links and Luck – Part 2, Marketing Pilgrim
- Microsoft’s Bing Search Being Blocked By Browsers Over Bad Security Certificate, HotHardware
- 5 Ways to Use Reverse Image Search, internetmarketingninjas.com
- Former SEO Tries To Build Spam Free Search Engine, Samuru, Search Engine Roundtable
- What is being done to remove “no results” pages?, YouTube
- The Beal Deal with Jennifer Cario (@JenniferCario), Marketing Pilgrim
- I’m Not a Rapper, I just SEO a lot, State of Search
SEO & SEM
- What are you optimizing your pages for?, Search Engine Guide
- 5.5 Tips To Write Amazing Blog Posts Even If You Are A Newbie (SEO without SEOing), Search Engine Journal
- A briefing on Using ‘Rel=me’ for SEO, Smart Insights
- Actionable SEO: Using the World Map, Majestic SEO Blog
- Can User Comments Get You A Google Penalty?, Search Engine Roundtable
- How to Effectively Build an SEO Campaign From The Ground Up, quicksprout.com
- Measuring and Increasing the ROI of Your Content Resources, SEOmoz
- PLAs on Smartphones: Enhanced Campaigns Impact, PPC Hero
- SEO Copywriting Checklist: Don’t neglect your keyphrase research!, SEO Copywriting
- The Poorly Run AdWords Account: An eBay Case Study, MarketingProfs
- Track local search citations with interactive charts & notes, BrightLocal
- Why Your Brain Is The Best Tool Of All (#ionsearch 2013), koozai.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- YouTube is testing a new auto-generated playlist feature called YouTube Mix to aid in video discovery, The Next Web
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.