SearchCap: The Day In Search, April 29, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Tracking The Swine Flu Epidemic With Maps & Search
It was less than a week ago that health officials alerted the media to a possible pandemic of swine flu in humans. Since then, authorities have moved quickly to track the outbreak and reassure the public with precautionary measures. Here’s a look at some of the best sources of online information about swine, avian and […]
- Google Analytics Adds AdSense Integration
After months of testing AdSense data in Google Analytics, Google has announced on both the AdSense Blog and the Analytics Blog that all AdSense publishers can now integrate their AdSense data directly into Google Analytics.
To link up your AdSense account with Google Analytics:
Log in to AdSense
Click the link that says “Integrate your AdSense account with […]
- Is It Time To Send Google Maps Back To The Drawing Board?
Google Maps and its Local Business Center continue to be the ugly warts on Google’s otherwise smooth surface. But rather than the long-running problems with mapspam and hijacked listings, the latest sore spot appears to be an internal problem with Google’s apparently unsophisticated (or perhaps over-complicated?) database systems.
Mike Blumenthal points out today that Google is […]
- IAC Buys UrbanSpoon
IAC has acquired UrbanSpoon, the restaurant review site that has an incredible popular iPhone application, amongst Facebook widgets and other widgets. The news is now over Techmeme that the company has been acquired for somewhere in the millions of dollar range. IAC has not disclosed the acquisition price.
The company was set up by Ethan […]
- Google News Automatically Tweeting Stories @GoogleNews
The Google News Blog announced they have joined Twitter to automatically post links to top stories on Twitter via @GoogleNews. Many news sites automatically post stories to Twitter as well, but Google News recently started to do this as well. I believe Google News also powers @News_By_Robots, but I do not have official […]
- Learning SEO From Building A Web Crawler
There is no doubt that you can learn a tremendous amount of information on search engine optimization (SEO) by reading sites like this or ones in our blogroll, but there is always a lot to be learned from getting your hands dirty. Now, you can get your hands dirty by experimenting and trying SEO […]
- Search Marketing Firm, Conductor, Raises $10 Million
Conductor, a search marketing firm, has announced they have raised $10 million in funding from Matrix Partners and FirstMark Capital.
This is more good news from the search industry showing that venture capital companies are still investing in search marketing firms. Yesterday, we reported that Marin software raised $13 million and today, Conductor […]
- Another 5 Search Tools You May Not Know … But Should
Wouldn’t it be great if you could use a search engine without needing to touch your mouse? You know, type your query and then scan and even click through to results without actually clicking the mouse button? Or maybe you’re looking for an alternate source of search advertising data, like how many advertisers are bidding […]
- How To SEO For Apple’s App Store
If you still think mobile SEO is only about WAP pages and the mobile Web, you may have been living under a rock since July 10, 2008, when Apple launched their App Store for iPhone and iPod Touch. This week they announced their 1 billionth App download, and many out of work programmers are wondering how to become the next App Store millionaire. In the new world of digital content optimization (also called digital asset optimization by some) content can and should be optimized to make it more visible on many popular platforms, including the App Store. The few articles that I’ve seen on App Store SEO seem to focus on more black hat techniques like keyword stuffing with unrelated keywords, but there are white hat ways to get your content to the top of Apple’s App Store search engine as well
- Measure Your Brand Success Using Competitive Intelligence
Your brand is important to you. Consumers looking for you or a product like yours will often search using your brand in their keyword phrases. Your competitors know this and will likely try to advertise on your brands, slogans, and catchy phrases.
How can you tell if you are winning out on your brand terms?
Most advertisers […]
- Microsoft’s Tellme Offers Improved Mobile Voice Search Experience
Tellme has been in the speech, automated directory assistance and “voice search” segment for a decade. Two years ago the company was acquired by Microsoft for roughly $800 million. Since that time the two companies have been working on integration and developing next-generation services. Tellme powers Microsoft’s LiveSearch 411, among other services.
Today, two years to […]
- Reports: US Dept. Of Justice Looking At Antitrust Issues Over Google Books Lawsuit
After skirting one antitrust action involving a proposed ad deal with Yahoo, Google may be facing a new one — this over the proposed settlement of the lawsuit involving Google Book Search.
Both the New York Times and the Wall St. Journal are reporting that the US Department of Justice is […]
- Wolfram Alpha Makes Public Debut
The highly anticipated Wolfram Alpha search engine made its debut today, although Google tossed in a little spoiler.
The webcast was apparently difficult for some to view, but you can get impressions of what happened from Between The Lines and Bits.
The site also has a new blog and Twitter account, and we’ll be looking at it […]
- Google Still Owns Online Video, But Hulu Is Rising
Google remains the dominant player in the online video space, but Hulu is on the rise. It’s now the number three video property according to the latest comScore numbers out today.
According to comScore, Hulu has passed Yahoo properties and moved into the third spot with 2.6% of all videos viewed during March. Yahoo dropped to […]
- Google Book Search Settlement Delayed
Publishers Weekly is reporting that a judge has granted a four-month extension on the deadline for affected parties to object to or opt out of the proposed Google Book Search settlement. (You can read Judge Denny Chin’s ruling on Scribd.)
Last week, a group of authors asked the presiding judge for four additional months to review […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- 11 short films about a browser, Official Google Blog
- AOL Homepage Looks Different, Real Different. The “A” Is For Agnostic., TechCrunch
- Search on the Seas: Google Water-Based Data Center Patent Granted, SEO By The Sea
- AOL Ad Revenues Collapse (TWX), Business Insider
- Brands add value despite slowdown, BBC NEWS
- Earnings: IAC Swings To Loss; Q1 Rev Dropped 10 Percent; Media & Advertising Down 22 Percent, paidContent.org
- Ex-DoubleClick CEO Rosenblatt To Leave Google, New York Times
- IAC CEO: Having Initial Discussions To Buy Yahoo Personals, Smart Money
- Tim Armstrong Looks to Simplify AOL’s Brand Clutter, Ad Age
- Time Warner Is Moving Closer to AOL Spin Off, New York Times
- Time Warner to Spin Off AOL Division, Washington Post
- Yahoo! India lays off 60; to hire 130, Business Standard
- Yahoo! Layoffs Begin, lalawag
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Browsing the neighborhood on Zillow’s new iPhone app, TechFlash
- Google iPhone App Update (With Added Ninja), Google Blogoscoped
- Mapping the swine flu outbreak, Google LatLong
- Samsung to release Android phone in June, Googling Google
- Visualizing Swine Flu on Virtual Earth, Virtual Earth, An Evangelist’s Blog
Paid Search & Contextual
- AdWords API v2009 Sandbox Launch, AdWords API Blog
- Scoping Out Your Keywords, Yahoo! Search Marketing Blog
- High Payouts From Microsoft PubCenter May Be Too Good To Be True, TechCrunch
- Managing Ad Copy with the adCenter Desktop (Beta), adCenter Blog for Advertisers
- New AdSense Policies Released: major implications for link sellers, MFAs & blended ad styles, JenSense
- Online Advertising Effectiveness Depends on Time of Day, Ad Age
- 100 Days of Obama Searches, Yahoo Search Blog
- How Google Suggest Changes Search Behaviour & SEO, The SEO Scoop
- Twazzup – Twitter Search Engine Alternative, AltSearchEngines
- Zhift – a new search engine for forums, AltSearchEngines
- Interview with Ralph Tegtmeier aka fantomaster, SEO Book
- More Tough Love: LiveSide interviews Danny Sullivan about Live Search, LiveSide
SEO & SEM
- Eliminating spam is good SEO, Akismet
- Google Stripping Referring URL Parameters Will Leave Many Naked, Jonathan Mendez’s Blog
- I Personally Feel Yahoo! Is Giving Advertisers Bad Advice, PPC Hero
- Is Google doing anything different for Twitter results?, YouTube
- Tragic Story Shows Limits of Startups Like ReputationDefender, peHUB
- Want to Get Listed in DMOZ? Become an Editor, SEOmoz
- 70% of StumbleUpon Traffic Comes After the Peak, Site Visibility
- Facebook Signs Agreement With GSA, All Facebook
- Phishing Attack Underway At Facebook. Don’t Sign In To Fbaction.net, TechCrunch
- The Twitter Approval Matrix, New York Magazine
- Twitter and the DMCA: A Fine Mess, PlagiarismToday
- Twitter quitters are fleeing the site in droves, ComputerWorld
Video, Music & Image Search
- Reddit Launches Video Discovery Service, NewTeeVee.com
- The Analytics Pro’s Tools of the Trade, Google Analytics Blog
- Yahoo Analytics 9.5 & Interview with Dennis Mortensen, Web Analytics World
- Yahoo! Web Analytics 9.5 Launched, VisualRevenue
- Behind the scenes at the White House, Yodel Anecdotal
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- 11 Pitfalls Small Businesses Make When Creating Their Websites
- Top 4 Sites For SMBs Navigating Social Media
- 7 sources of link intelligence data & key link analysis considerations
- Alternative Keyword Suggestions Tool: Actual Keywords
- Multi categories website structure. Who needs the canonical tag?
- Google SEO starter guide – Search Engine Optimisation Basics
- Google Launches Digg Style Social Voting Service
- 10 Ways to Be a Great SEO
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.