SearchCap: The Day In Search, April 29, 2011
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing Maps’ “Game Changer”: Hi-Res Aerial Imagery Coming To Entire US and Western Europe
Hot on the heels of last week’s Read/Write World effort, Bing Maps has announced another ambitious project that will improve its imagery collection. It’s called the Global Ortho Project and the goal is to provide consistent, high resolution (30 cms) imagery across every square inch of the United States and Western Europe by June, 2012. [...]
- New York Times: Yes, Google’s Panda Update Hit NYT-Owned About.com
The New York Times Company has confirmed recent reports that its About.com property was one of the sites that suffered traffic declines in the wake of Google’s recent Panda/Farmer algorithm change. Speaking during its recent earnings call, CEO Janet Robinson said that About.com “experienced a moderately negative impact on page views from the algorithm changes [...]
- Image Is Everything: How To Get Your Non-Product Images To Show In Search Results
Here’s the first question: what is the business value of having one of your images come up at the top of Google’s search results? I don’t mean Google Image Search, I mean the first organic results (aka SERPs) seen on Google.com for a particular keyword? If you have an e-commerce site, the value is pretty [...]
- Using Social Awareness Streams To Learn What People Care About
It wasn’t long ago that knowledge about our world came from newspapers, magazines, radio, TV, and of course, person to person gossip, storytelling and family gatherings. The Internet changed all that. Today, a person wanting to know the latest buzz studies social awareness streams (SAS). In the Just Behave column, we’ve discussed information architecture as [...]
- Yandex Finally Files For Long-Awaited IPO
Russia’s leading search engine Yandex formally filed for an IPO that has been expected for at least three years but was delayed by the global recession. The company plans to raise roughly $1 billion through its US Nasdaq offering. Founded in 1997, Yandex controls approximately 65 percent of the Russian search market and is valued [...]
- Google’s Royal Wedding Logo
Prince William of Wales and Catherine (Kate) Middleton are celebrating their wedding day today – known as the Royal Wedding. YouTube is live streaming the wedding, Google has a special one box result for the keyword, Google Maps has a Royal Pegman, and there is a social media frenzy going on about the Royal Wedding. [...]
- Your Guide To The Royal Wedding 2011, Social Media Style
The last time Britain had a big Royal Wedding, one didn’t tweet about it, Facebook about it, Flickr about it and certainly didn’t air it on YouTube. One couldn’t. These things didn’t exist. But the 21st century British Monarchy is hip to the social media channels of today. Here’s how to tune in to the [...]
- What Time Is The Royal Wedding? Google Tells You With Special Box
Royal Wedding madness had descended upon Google. Do a search for royal wedding, and you’ll be treated to a special box telling you the time it happens in your location. The image above shows the box, with the time of 3am Pacific Time tomorrow, because that’s the time zone I’m in. The box is actually [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
- Apple, Google will testify to Senate on location tracking, Computerworld
- Unintended Consequences Of Google’s $900 Million Nortel Patent Bid: Creating New Patent Trolls, TechDirt
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Logitech Makes a Measly $5M From Google TV, gigaom.com
- Verizon Plans To Put Location-Tracking Warning Sticker on Phones, Forbes
- Google Adds Islamic Prayer Times in Search Results, thenextweb.com
- Best of SMX Toronto 2011, managinggreatness.com
- Video: Royal Wedding On Google, Toolbar PageRank Hidden & Google Search Changes, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Dynamic Keyword Research – Keeping Your Online Marketing Aligned With the Rest of the World, Search Engine Guide
- Correlation Data for SEO and Social Media Analysis – Part 2 – Whiteboard Friday, SEOmoz
- Free Keyword Competition Research, SEO Book
- Google Algo Twist Gooses Gray Lady – Great Speculations – Buys, holds, and hopes, Forbes
- Google Base API Deprecation On June 1, 2011, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Search Results Get Local Push, SEO Book
- New Google Toolbar Hides PageRank Indicator, Search Engine Roundtable
- Optimizing Social Media Campaigns For Search, outspokenmedia.com
- PPC Misunderstood | Pay-Per-Click Myths, SEM Geek
- Quality Content and the Keyword Long Tail, Search Engine People
- Where Are the SEOs Yachts? / QBot 2.0 Going Live Tonight!, adgooroo.com
- Twitter Seeks 3 Month Commitments in New Ad Program, ClickZ
- Twitter Confirms It Has Passed 200 Million Accounts, 70% of Traffic Now International, Read/Write Web
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- 6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure – Ever wonder why you can have 548 friends on Facebook, yet only 15-20 show up in your news feed? It’s not that those other friends have stopped using Facebook; chances are they’re still there. It’s just that they aren’t showing up in your news feed.
- FTC Seeks to Halt 10 Operators of Fake News Sites from Making Deceptive Claims About Acai Berry Weight Loss Products – The Federal Trade Commission is requesting federal courts to temporarily halt the allegedly deceptive tactics of 10 operations using fake news websites to market acai berry weight-loss products. The FTC seeks to permanently stop this misleading practice and has asked courts to freeze the operations’ assets pending trial.
- Analyzing Groupon's Design: Why So Many Buy In – Groupon is a mad success story. The author breaks down exactly what it is that's made them so successful, giving us lessons to apply and listing a few sites trying to use the same model.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.