SearchCap: The Day In Search, April 9, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Attribution Technology: What’s Best For Your Needs?
A few months ago, I wrote an article titled Attribution: What It Is And Why It’s Important where I discussed two types of attribution: operational and project based attribution.
For this post, I want to go one step further and explain how you can use several different types of technologies for operational and project-based attribution. The [...]
- It’s Official: Google Now Counts Site Speed As A Ranking Factor
Google has kept a promise it made last year: Site speed is now a ranking factor in Google’s algorithm, and is already in place for U.S. searchers. But Google also cautions web site owners not to sacrifice relevance in the name of faster web pages, and even says this new ranking factor will impact very [...]
- Two In-depth Training Workshops Offered at SMX Advanced Seattle
Join us for workshops that take a deep dive on search engine optimization (SEO) or issues confronting in-house SEM professionals at Search Marketing Expo – SMX Advanced Seattle. The seminars will be held June 10th, immediately following SMX Advanced on June 8-9.
Keep reading for descriptions of In-house SEM Exchange and Bruce Clay SEO [...]
- Google Using Apple iAds To Lobby For AdMob Approval
Reports have been surfacing for the past week that the US Federal Trade Commission may be preparing to try and block the $750 million Google acquisition of AdMob. Yesterday at the Apple iPhone OS 4 event Steve Jobs discussed Google several times and acknowledged that Apple tried to buy AdMob but Google “snatched” it away. [...]
- comScore: Bing, Ask & Yahoo Grow Slightly, Google Slips
On Wednesday we reported on Hitwise data showing Google’s search share declining for the “fourth straight month.” However the firm has always shown Google with the greatest share vs. rival metrics firms (comScore, Nielsen, Compete).
Yesterday comScore published its March search numbers to clients and they were subsequently released in the financial analyst notes that routinely [...]
- Universal Search Now In Google Suggest For Mobile
Google has now incorporated universal search in Google Suggest for mobile search. The company did this on the PC last year.
In selected situations this allows users to get “answers” in the Suggest drop-down options menu rather than waiting for a SERP. Here’s “weather” on the PC and on mobile for example:
There’s more user tolerance of [...]
- Bing Shopping Redesign
The Bing Search Blog announced that Microsoft has redesigned parts of Bing Shopping. The changes include:
Product categories listed on left side
Product summaries all on one page include where to buy, user reviews, cashback percentage, product specifications.
Reviews can be narrow down by filtering on star ratings or use the “opinion scorecard”
Here is a video demo [...]
- Deadly Sins Against SEO: Part 2
More egregious mistakes that website owners, web designers/developers, landing page experts, and others make to prevent qualified search engine traffic and conversions.
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- New in Labs: Nested Labels and Message Sneak Peek, Official Gmail Blog
- Shortcuts for Google Translate and Google Dictionary, Google Operating System
- Exclusive: Yahoo Eyes Ex-Microsoft Exec Blake Irving for Top Product and Tech Job; CTO Balogh to Leave, AllThingsD
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Maps Drops 3D Street Views, Was It a Prank?, Search Engine Roundtable
- 5 things that stop anchor text being passed, David Naylor
- Whiteboard Friday – Link Building with Nudges, SEOmoz
- Google Dictionary Shows Usage Examples, Google Operating System
- Ruud Questions: Alysson Fergison aka SEOAly, Search Engine People
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: April 9, 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Simple SEO Plan Of Action?, Hobo
- Real Time Search for Your Online Marketing Mix, Online Marketing Blog
- SBS Mailbag: How Do I Remove My Local Business Listing?, Small Business SEM
- When and why was my site flagged for malware? Learn in near real-time!, Official Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Growing Around the World, Twitter Blog
- Official Twitter for BlackBerry App Now Available, Twitter Mobile Blog
- Twitter to Launch a Major Redesign [SCREENSHOT], Icodom
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google Video Drops "Playable on Google" Feature, Search Engine Roundtable
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Digg To Shut Down Its Toolbar, Unban Domains
- Put Your Content Copies Under Control
- With Lawsuits Looming, Yelp Separates Reviews From Advertising
- The 8-Step SEO Strategy, Step 1: Define Your Target Audience and Their Needs
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.