Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 10, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Hot On Sphinn: Using Excel For SEO, Paid Links, Link Building Strategies & More
Every day, your peers in the search industry are reading and voting on articles that are shared on our sister site, Sphinn. The most popular content goes “hot” — i.e., it reaches the Sphinn home page — when it acquires enough community votes or when a Sphinn editor promotes it as an “Editor’s Choice.”
This is […]
- Google Street View Coming To Germany
In the face of resistance from several European countries and agencies, Google says it will launch Street View in Germany before the end of the year. The road-based photo-mapping tool will be available in 20 of Germany’s biggest cities by November, the AP reports.
One thing unique to this launch is that Google will let Germans […]
- Internal Google Document Reveals Struggles Over Data, Privacy: WSJ
Google’s internal debates over privacy and how to monetize the mountains of data it has about its users — including whether to monetize it at all — are detailed today by the Wall Street Journal. The lengthy article examines a confidential, seven-page “vision statement” that made the rounds at Google as far back as 2008. […]
- Search Engine Land’s SMX East 2010 Comes To NYC: Why You Should Go!
In less than two months, Search Engine Land’s SMX East search engine marketing conference comes to New York City from Oct. 4-6. Involved with generating business for your company? You should be there, to ensure you’re keeping up with the burgeoning medium of search.
SMX East isn’t just for search marketers, though there’s plenty for […]
- Why Display Matters to Search Marketers: SMN Webcast Thursday
This Thursday at Search Marketing Now, Jeff Green, CEO of The Trade Desk, will present a webcast that looks explains the relationship between search advertising and display advertising, and why it is important to for marketers to engage in both, in order to reach the growing online audiences.
“Why Display Matters to Search Marketers – […]
- When Social Media Conflict Comes To The Farm
When we think of social media, the image that comes to mind is remote workers scattered in coffee shops across the world, working for virtual corporations — the last place that comes to mind is probably a dairy farm in Ohio. Earlier this year, social platforms became the tool in a public relations war between […]
- Reader Q & A: How Link Signals Can Be Misunderstood
Most readers here are familiar with the concept of search engine “signals”, i.e., things the bots look for and count, and algorithm’s use and score, in order produce the search results page.
While all of us agree such signals exist, this doesn’t mean we all agree what those signals are and to what degree any of […]
- Building & Selling An SEO Company – 5 Keys To Success
I’ve spent the last decade in the search optimization business as a principal, entrepreneur, expert and executive—building the Netconcepts search business, selling the company to Covario, and the past 7 months leading the integration of these businesses into a powerful new entity. I came into this business knowing very little about SEO. I have learned […]
- Google To Drop Old Keyword Tool By End Of Month
The Google AdWords Blog announced they are taking the new keyword tool out of beta. The “new” keyword tool has been in beta since September 2009 and we ultimately knew Google would phase out the old keyword tool in exchange for this new one. Now we know when.
Google said the old keyword tool, […]
- 5 Rules For Successfully Selling Search Services
I’m a pretty idealistic person. I’ve been known to put unicorns and rainbows in my presentations. And I like to sit back and fantasize about various pie-in-the-sky scenarios. In one such (recurring) “blue sky” daydream, I head to the office on my bike under dawn’s pink glow. As I enter the office, the sun is […]
- South Korea Begins Formal Investigation After Raiding Google’s Offices
South Korea Police Raid Google Office from the New York Times reports South Korea has started a formal investigation against Google over the Street View privacy topic that has been haunting Google for the past few months.
Google’s South Korea offices were raided today by the South Korean police. Korean National Police Agency […]
- A Plea To Let International Users Decide What Language They Speak
Where I live and what language I speak are not necessarily the same thing. And because today, I’m connecting in Vienna doesn’t mean that I want German content. And please dear website owner, remember that borders are artificial – my world centers around me not around a political line on a map. Center on me!
- UCSD Student, Professor Try To Solve Google’s Street View Privacy Problem
A grad student and his professor have developed software that eliminates (some) people from Google Street View images. And that could be a boon to Google’s ongoing battles over Street View and privacy.
Arturo Flores, a computer science grad student at UC San Diego, and Serge Belongie, his professor, have published their findings (1.7mb PDF) in […]
- Twitter Builds Its Ad Sales Team
As Twitter continues to take steps to execute on its business plan, the company has announced two important hires today: Dan Coughlin as Director of Sales for the Eastern Region, and Amanda Levy as Director of Sales for the Western Region. Coughlin comes to Twitter from Facebook, where he worked for four years and was […]
- Mobile SEO Tip: Transcoding Services Can Dilute Link Popularity
Usablenet is one of the most popular mobile web platforms available, because they provide a turnkey solution for businesses that are looking to take advantage of mobile web traffic. According to their web site, they have built mobile solutions for over 300 companies, many of which are Fortune 100 companies like Dell, Delta Air, Walgreens […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Blogger’s 11th Birthday Party, Blogger Buzz
- Updates to Contacts and a (slightly) new look for Gmail, Official Gmail Blog
- Why Google Reader May Be Slow, Search Engine Roundtable
- FCC Commissioner On Verizon-Google Proposal: Time To Put Consumers First, TechCrunch
- First, Facebook Stories and Now…Google Stories!, Kara Swisher
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google to Introduce ‘Street View’ in Germany, Wall Street Journal
- New App DuckDuckGo Hopes to Take Away the Pain of Mobile Search, Read/Write Web
- New Google Earth Imagery – August 10, Google Earth Blog
- 7 Things to Watch Out for When Link Building, Search Engine Watch
- Link Building: It’s All In the Details, wiep.net
- Signal Strength – Perspectives on No-Follow, adgooroo.com
- A Financial Perspective of the Oil Spill, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- Answering Your Questions With Bing And Wolfram Alpha, Bing Community
- Google Patent Granted on Polite Web Crawling, SEO By The Sea
- Legal Database Launched by International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) to Enhance Protection for War Victims, ResourceShelf
SEO & SEM
- Never Odd Or Even: PPC Ad Text Testing Made Easy, PPC Hero
- 10 SEO Bots & What You Need to Know, Marketing Pilgrim
- 50 Reasons To Cloak Links (& reasons not to), andybeard.eu
- 8 Ways Excel Can Help in Search Marketing (SEO & PPC), Search Engine Journal
- Anatomy of a Hands-on SEO Audit – Part 3, Search Engine Journal
- Does PageRank take into account cross-browser compatibility?, YouTube
- How Much Optimization is Too Much?, Search Engine Watch
- How To Silo Your Website: The Masthead, Michael Gray
- Positive Search Results | Positive Searches & a Lesson in ORM, andybeard.eu
- Reasons Why PPC Marketers Need To Be More Than Just PPC Marketers, SEM Geek
- Reversing the SEO Process: The Chocolate Chip Cookie Mistake, SEOmoz
- Introducing Fast Follow, and other SMS tips, Twitter Blog
- Why Twitter’s New Deceased User’s Policy Isn’t Good Enough, Legacy Locker
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google Images Redesign Doubles Schools Bandwidth Bill, Search Engine Roundtable
- Webtrends Buys Social, Mobile Marketer Transpond, paidContent.org
- Google and SBA Launch “Tools for Online Success” Small Business Partnership, googlesmb.blogspot.com
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- 885 Social Sites, SEO & Marketing: Fine Tuning Your Marketing Strategy – Angie's (@AngsCopywriting) shared a treatise on social media & SEO marketing – doing it right and wrong, measuring effots, considering the human factor.
She shared a link building freebie as well – FREE XLS download of 885 social sites!
- Integrating Social Media into your Email Marketing – Savvy businesses are using social media and email marketing to promote their business online. Savvier businesses are using social media WITH email marketing. What do I mean by with?
- Local Citation Finder: Must-Have SEO Tool – In local SEO, if citations are the equivalent of links, how about doing the same thing? How about looking for your competitor's citations and trying to get the same ones? That's exactly what the Local Citation Finder does, a new tool that instantly becomes a must-have for local SEO.
- Cause Marketing and Missed Social Media Opportunities – Nestle shows us how to fail at social media on facebook by missing great opportunities to engage their customers and try to help resolve controversy around their products.