SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 11, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Twitter Preparing Official Tweet Buttons: Report
Twitter is planning to launch an official “Tweet” button this week, according to Mashable. The button will come in three forms, according to internal Twitter documents that Mashable has published.
When asked to confirm Mashable’s report and the authenticity of the internal documents, a Twitter spokesperson would only tell us, “Stay tuned.”
The button will be embeddable [...]
- Best Practices For Mobile Search Marketing Campaigns
As part of the continuing series on expanding in-house search marketing efforts beyond traditional search, this week the focus is on mobile search marketing campaigns. Read on for a guide to getting started and mobile search marketing best practices.
Mobile search share
Some marketers argue that mobile queries still represent too small an overall volume to make [...]
- 7 Tips To Make Better Keyword Bidding Decisions In B2B Paid Search
What do flashing blue lights, yellow tape, and the streets of New York have in common with your PPC campaign? Much like Jack McCoy in a suspenseful episode of Law & Order, B2B marketers need to thoroughly examine the evidence before accusing their keywords.
Understanding the value
Before determining the fate of a keyword – either by [...]
- Head’s Up: Your Search Marketing Strategies Need To Evolve
Google’s recent announcement that search spend growth rates are slowing represents that search marketing as we all know (and love) it is changing. Advertisers still use search engines to market much the same way they did five years ago. But as consumer behavior expands to include searching through apps or communities or via [...]
- 4 Principles Of Conversion Content Marketing
Content marketing, in the words of Chris Brogan, can really “shake the tree.” Thriving at the intersection of SEO and social media, content marketing has become central to digital marketing strategy. Its objective is simple: create genuinely useful or entertaining content for many specific niches of your target audience—not to overtly promote your business, but [...]
- How Google & Apple Sold Out The Cell Phone Revolution
“Where’s the revolution,” I asked when Google launched its Nexus One phone earlier this year. There had been plenty of rumblings that Google would shake up how cell phones were sold in the US. Google’s Eric Schmidt once predicted we’d all be using free phones paid for by ads. But the Nexus One simply offered [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
- On Google’s Terms, The Dalles Chronicle Local News
- DirecTV Partners With Google TV Ads, paidContent.org
- Facebook Had Offered Foursquare $120 Million, Foursquare Asked For $150 Million, Then Facebook Walked Away, Business Insider
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Bing Maps user contributed content, on the way?, LiveSide
- Google Maps Add a Feature for Bike Riders, New York Times
- Google SSL Search Not Working In Safari 5, Search Engine Roundtable
- Announcing SphinnCon Israel 2011 – January 9, 2011, Search Engine Roundtable
- Inside Yahoo! Labs: A Chat with Dr. Ben Shahshahani, Yahoo Search Blog
- Onsite SEO Interview with Dave Harry, Vertical Measures
SEO & SEM
- Are there any plans to implement a "negative keyword" meta tag?, YouTube
- Better PPC Management Using Adwords Interface Segments, PPC Hero
- Google Can’t Find The Original Source Of Content?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Improving Your International SEO Skills, Search Engine Watch
- It’s Alive…ALIVE! How To Create Electrifying SEO Content, Search Engine Journal
- SEO Speak: Sitemaps, Vertical Leap Blog
- SEO Talk: Gospel or Hearsay?, Search Engine Watch
- The Paid Search Business: Client Retention, Rimm Kaufman
- Traditional Ad Agencies and Their Ability to do SEO, SEO.com
- How A 13 Year Old Gained 16,000 Fans In 96 Hours, All Facebook
- MySpace Launches a Revamped User Homepage [EXCLUSIVE], mashable.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google TV Gets A New Logo – What Do You Think?, Read/Write Web
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- 10 Great Local Search Tools That Don’t Exist Yet – Andrew Shotland creates an excellent rhetorical list of necessary local search tools.
- Reverse SEO and Online Reputation Management – It may be time for reverse SEO. With the Internet and social media, bad press can turn into a public relations nightmare. How do you control the damage?
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.