Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 16, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Q&A: comScore’s New “Core Search” & “Explicit Core Search” Figures
Today, comScore is releasing an additional set of search market share metrics designed to better reflect “core” search activity, something that’s become an issue as companies such as Yahoo and Microsoft have inflated traditional metrics through the use of “slideshows” and other “contextual search” activities. Below, a Q&A with Cameron Meierhoefer, comScore’s executive vice president […]
- Twitter Expands Social Connections With New Features
Twitter is rolling out a couple new features this week that expands its ability to show and help you develop your social network. The new features — “Followed by” and “You both follow” — are on their way to 100% availability, a Twitter spokesperson tells us.
Both features show up when looking at another user’s profile […]
- Hot On Sphinn: Local SEO & Citations, Search Auto-Suggestions, Bing’s Ad Budget & More
Every day, your peers in the search industry are reading and voting on articles that are shared on our sister site, Sphinn. The most popular content goes “hot” — i.e., it reaches the Sphinn home page — when it acquires enough community votes or when a Sphinn editor promotes it as an “Editor’s Choice.”
This is […]
- Is Google’s Brand Equity In Danger?
Last week, while I was on vacation, the big news was the Google-Verizon “net neutrality” agreement. Mostly the public response has been negative and very negative in some quarters.
Danny’s How Google & Apple Sold Out The Cell Phone Revolution is one example. The even stronger Why Google Became A Carrier-Humping, Net Neutrality Surrender Monkey […]
- 10 Reasons You Can’t Miss SMX East – October 4-6 in NYC
Are you responsible for building site traffic? Growing sales? Boosting ROI? Acquiring customers? All of the above?
You’re reading Search Engine Land, so you already know the power of search marketing. And Search Marketing Expo – SMX East is where you’ll learn the cutting edge tactics to make your search marketing efforts shine.
Here are […]
- Lycos Sold For $36 Million
Lycos, that old search engine, was reportedly sold for $36 million.
Ybrant Digital, an Indian-based digital marketing solutions company, bought Lycos from Korean-based Daum. Daum purchased Lycos back in 2004 for $95.4 million—and that was a mere fraction of the of the $12.5 billion Spanish telecom company Terra paid for Lycos at […]
- Chitika: Bing Passes Yahoo In Search Market Share
Well here’s a surprise. New stats from Chitika show Bing has taken over the second place spot for search market share from Yahoo — and back in January 2010!
Chitika is an advertising network similar to Google AdSense. The company receives data about visits to the 80,000 sites in its network, which are mostly US based, […]
- Google’s New Forced Transparency: Is Your Agency Ready?
Google is making changes that require agencies to be more “transparent” in their reports to advertisers. But will this change benefit advertisers—or is it a move by Google to build its own brand and assure customer loyalty? The answers aren’t entirely… “transparent.”
- Optimizing Facebook Status Updates For Local Marketing
Many small-to-medium businesses (SMBs) are awakening to the marketing potential found in Facebook’s massive audience, and have begun developing their Facebook pages to promote their companies. While posting status updates is a great way to engage with your customers, there are some ways to kick them up a notch to expand your promotional potential, and […]
- Tracking Seasonal Search Behavior
Many products are naturally seasonal in nature. For example, Halloween costumes are generally only sold in the weeks preceding the holiday each year. However, while this seasonal behavior is easy to conceptualize, it can frustrate your ability to measure the progress of your SEO efforts, and the traffic growth you would like to […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Gmail’s Hidden Groups, Google Operating System
- Yahoo’s Premier League Video Highlights Go Live, paidContent.org
- Google and the Search for the Future, Wall Street Journal
- Social Gold Joins Google – A Letter From Our Founders, Social Gold
- The Oracle-Google Mess, GrokLaw
- Exclusive: Facebook Snaps Up Chai Labs, AllThingsD
- Google To Acquire Like.com After Leaving Them At The Altar In 2005, TechCrunch
- Google to open ‘Google Ideas’ global technology think tank, Fortune
- Hulu Is Seen as Readying to Go Public, New York Times
- Yahoo Japan Buys Location-Based Mobile Advertising Company Cirius, Asiajin
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google “Voice Actions” Now Available For Android, What About Similar Voice Recognition Services For Other Platforms?, ResourceShelf
- Google Places Updates Quality guidelines – Now Allows Business Names with Punctuation, Mike Blumenthal
- IPhone App Mania With Bing, Bing Community
- Making our new building home, Google LatLong
- 5 Reasons Why I Won’t Link to Your Website, wiep.net
- Market Research for Link Building – Who You Can Get Links From, SEOmoz
Paid Search & Contextual
- Apple’s New iAds Platform Is Slow to Take Off, Wall Street Journal
- Google never removed Oracle from its index, Invisible to the eye
- DMOZ Planned System Outage Notification, Round 3, DMOZ Blog
- Doubleclick Founder’s New Search Engine Powered By – Gasp – Humans, Read/Write Web
- AdWords Help Center Adds "Small Business Corner", Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Can I use robots.txt to optimize Googlebot’s crawl?, YouTube
- Pay Per Click versus SEO – Arch Enemies or Kissing Cousins?, Search Engine Journal
- SecondStep : SEO Audit, Task & Workflow Solution Launches in Private Beta, Search Engine Journal
- Should You 301 Redirect Catch All Pages To Home Page?, Search Engine Roundtable
- The Seven-Step Process for Writing Enticing Product Descriptions, www.marketingwords.com
- Video Sitemaps: Understanding location tags, Official Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Why The Google AdWords Keyword Tool Shouldn’t Be Used For SEO – A Case Study, David Naylor
- How I Made Money Spamming Twitter with Contextual Book Suggestions, Charles Hooper
- Foursquare Business Strategies You Don’t Want to Miss, samirbalwani.com
- Groupon Foursquare = GroupTabs, Group Deals for Check-Ins, Read/Write Web
- N.Korea uses Twitter for propaganda offensive, Yahoo! News
- Twitter’s “Followed By” And “You Both Follow” More Useful Than “Mutual Friends”, TechCrunch
- Using Facebook to Promote a Local Blog, Hyperlocal Blogger
- Launch: Intelligence Just Got Smarter!, Google Analytics Blog
- Embarrasing Google India Independence Day Logo Typo, Search Engine Roundtable
- Happy & Sad Logos: Chinese Valentines, Korea Independence, Kyoto Festival, & Sad Colorless Logos, Search Engine Roundtable
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- My Face Builds Links! So Should Yours! – Great post with 5 simple strategies to increasing your personal brand and building links simultaneously.
- Successful Guest Blogging – Getting the Etiquette – Great Tips! Grab his eBook; it's a quick read with many helpful links. Learning what Warner teaches is sure to increase traffic to your blog!