SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 17, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Hunch: Traffic Down, Registrations Way Up & We’re Smarter
Even though its traffic is down, Hunch says new user registrations have risen dramatically recently. And as more users register, Hunch says its recommendation engine keeps getting smarter.
Barely more than two months ago, Hunch began requiring visitors to register/login to use the site. In doing so, all Hunch visitors were required to answer the site’s [...]
- Could CafeMom Become Yahoo’s Long Sought Social Network?
AllThingsD is reporting that Yahoo is negotiating with mom-oriented social network CafeMom for a potential $100 million acquisition — the price Yahoo recently paid for Associated Content.
Yahoo has of course tried to buy other companies unsuccessfully in the past (most recently Foursquare, according to rumor) so it’s not clear it will happen. But this deal [...]
- Yahoo-Microsoft Organic Transition Happening, Site Explorer, Search Monkey Holding For Now
The Yahoo-Microsoft search transition is picking up momentum. Yahoo announced a number of things today relevant to the change over. They concern the organic search transition, SearchMonkey and Site Explorer.
Yahoo announced that later this week the organic transition will commence for PC and mobile results in North America:
This is an important step toward our [...]
- Facebook E-Commerce: A Look At Facebook Shopping Carts
Facebook pages can be quite a dynamic location for your brand and now there is a growing push towards monetizing pages from within Facebook. By utilizing shopping cart software built exclusively for Facebook, retailers can now sell products right on their Facebook pages – no need for users to ever exit Facebook.com.
These e-commerce platforms are [...]
- Smart Links Can Make Your SEO Sing
Webmasters build links for two reasons: to drive traffic and to influence search engine placement. Neither option is as cut and dry as I’ve stated here but when it gets down to it, that’s why webmasters deliberately build links.
If you’re building links to support ongoing SEO efforts, there are a handful of key tips to keep [...]
- Google AdWords To Adjust Your Max CPCs Based On Conversion Data
The Google AdWords blog announced a new bidding method available to advertisers named enhanced CPC.
Enhanced CPC uses your conversion data, the one you may willing provide to Google AdWords, to automatically adjust your Max CPC prices. The system predicts the likelihood of an ad converting based on the historical conversion tracking data in your [...]
- New comScore Search Metrics: ‘Explict Core Search’ Up At Yahoo, Bing, Down At Google
As Danny earlier pointed out, comScore has devised a new metric called “Explicit Core Search” to separate intended search results from slideshow “gaming” (“contextual search”), which had arguably distorted search volumes at Yahoo and to some degree Bing in recent months.
Here’s how comScore explains the new metric:
When comScore reports our July 2010 qSearch data this [...]
- Europe Needs Bing, But Does Bing Need Europe?
A simple look at search market share in Europe shows that Europe is a Google continent. Though the search giant’s headquarters are physically based in Silicon Valley, a huge part of their community is based in Europe. Only Yandex in Russia and Seznam in Czech are able to compete with Google, but only on a [...]
- Swingly: New Search Engine Reveals Just The Facts
The days of search engines merely being a middle man are over. Search isn’t about sending users to the right web page, it’s about getting them the information they want as soon as possible — sometimes it’s a web page, but it might also be a sports score, movie showtimes, election information, or some other [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- AOL Opens Its 100th Patch, Targets 500 By Year’s End (TCTV), TechCrunch
- AOL’s Patch Aims To Quintuple In Size By Year-End, paidContent.org
- Google Calendar Sync now supports Outlook 2010, Official Gmail Blog
- Google CEO Suggests You Change Your Name to Escape His Permanent Record, Read/Write Web
- The Early Facebook Employee Exodus, gigaom.com
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Some notes on foursquare and location sharing, foursquare
- 5 Reasons Why I Won’t Link to Your Website, Wiep.net
- Can You Hurt Your Rankings By Using Too Many Internal Links?, Search Engine Roundtable
Paid Search & Contextual
- Understand errors with the new troubleshooting guide, AdWords API Blog
- New My Client Center features: search across accounts and labels, Inside AdWords
- The Evolving World of Search, Yodel Anecdotal
SEO & SEM
- Google Sandbox? Or Do You Just Have The Wrong Type Of Site To Compete In Organic Results?, Hobo
- How Large Advertisers are Accelerating their SEO with Social Media, Search Engine Watch Blog
- I’m Getting More Worried about the Effectiveness of Webspam, SEOmoz
- Is there anything I can do to harm my competitors?, David Naylor
- Poll: Do You NoFollow Your External Links?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Robots Exclusion Protocol Reference Guide, BruceClay
- To err is human, Video Sitemap feedback is divine!, Official Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Why Google Will Triumph Over Facebook, fool.com
- Social Network Ad Spending to Approach $1.7 Billion This Year, eMarketer
- Steady Gains in Blogging by Marketers, eMarketer
- What Will Facebook Be Announcing Wednesday? Location, Location, Location!, AllThingsD
- Why More of Your Employees Should Be On Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, Search Engine Journal
Video, Music & Image Search
- Facebook now 3rd most popular video site, MSNBC
- Google Images Serves Up One Image For Limited Time, Search Engine Roundtable
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Why Your Web Developer and SEO Keep Asking You For Content – A quick run down for website/SEO clients on why we keep asking for content, why their web developer has lost focus on their project and suggestions on how to get content done.
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.