Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 18, 2011
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google News Archive Search Page: Gone Forever Or Temporary Bug?
Another Google search interface has gone missing: The specialized interface/homepage to Google News Archive Search is no longer available. It was previously accessible at news.google.com/archivesearch. Yesterday (Wednesday) the URL for the archive search page redirected to the Google Homepage. Today (Thursday) the URL now redirects to the Google News Advanced Search interface. This interface was […]
- Google Adds Rich Snippet Support For Music
Google announced they have added yet another rich snippet support, this one is for music results. The snippet will display the name of the song, the duration of the clip, and the album the song is from. The song title will link to the site’s specific page for that song. This works for both audio […]
- 12 Step Program For Improving The Load Speed Of Online Stores
In my last column, we talked about why website load speed matters and how important it was for online retailers. Guess I touched a nerve. I got more emails and phone calls about that one than any other column I’ve written! Load speed issues affect all websites, but we’re retailers, so today, I’ll cover some […]
- Google Maps Becomes A Mini-Weather Center
It’s one of those things that you almost wonder why it wasn’t there before: current weather conditions on Google Maps. Well, Google has added current weather conditions around the world on Google Maps, and it’s a helpful addition. The new weather layer can be turned on or off by clicking the options widget in the […]
- How Attribution Helps Search Marketing Inform Other Channels
One of the many beauties of attribution management is the multi-dimensional nature of the analysis that it performs, and the extremely granular nature of the cross channel insights that it delivers to marketers as a result. So not only can a marketer learn which publisher is producing the best ROI or most revenue, but he/she […]
- SEO Copywriting Tips: Optimizing For Multiple Keywords On One Page
When you began learning SEO, someone probably told you not to optimize a webpage for more than two or three queries. At the 101 level, treating each keyword with the same reverence makes a lot of sense. It is easier to teach and execute. Now, at the 303 level, we want to wring out every […]
- It’s Back-To-School Time; Check Out the Training Videos at IMTcourses.com
It’s Back-To-School Time; Check Out the Training Videos at IMTcourses.com Search Engine Land released its first search marketing training videos today. They are now available on Internet Marketing Training Courses (http://imtcourses.com), a new online store for internet marketing training materials launched by our parent company Third Door Media. The series, Fundamentals of Search Engine Marketing, […]
- Search Engine Land’s SMX East Conference Rates Increase Saturday – Register Now!
Early Bird rates for SMX East end this Saturday, August 20th. Register now and save $350 on your All Access ticket! Join us September 13-15 in New York City for: Timely programing: 75% of sessions are all new. Learn the impact of Google +1, how to Panda-proof your content and use retargeting without being creepy. […]
- Google Testing Unique AdWords Format Designed for Gmail
Google is experimenting with an AdWords ad unit unique to Gmail which allows the company to introduce more graphical interactive ads without going so far as to introduce display ads. The new AdWords units appear above the text ads in the right sidebar. They include an image, a headline and a couple of lines of […]
Search News From Around The Web:
- Leading Performance Marketing Platform for Agencies, Acquisio, Secures $12.1 Million in Series B Funding, prweb.com
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Go large, with high resolution support in the Static Maps API, Google Geo Developers Blog
- PhotoBlog – Google Street View hits the open waters to share environment in the Amazon, photoblog.msnbc.msn.com
- SEO Tips for Local Business Marketing, blog.mapquest.com
- Audio Pronunciation in Google Search, Google Operating System
- Google+ 1 More: I’m Joining Google Monday, louisgray.com
SEO & SEM
- 4 Practical Tips That Increase Quality & Creativity (While Doing Less…), Search Engine People
- A proven process for growing online businesses using conversion rate optimization, conversion-rate-experts.com
- Absolutely Everything You Need to Know About the Google Panda Update, quicksprout.com
- AdWords Filters To Help With PPC Management, PPC Hero
- Content Strategy for the Web: Step 1, Vertical Measures
- Google Changes Sitelinks Management Within Webmaster Tools, Search Engine Roundtable
- Introducing Learn with Google, Inside AdWords
- Managing PPC Client Expectations – Prospective PPC Client Audit Checklist, Search Engine Journal
- Robot Access & Indexation Restriction Techniques: Avoiding Conflicts, SEOmoz
- Bing Share your "where" with friends: Introducing the “We’re In” app from Bing, Bing Search Blog
- For when a place is more than just a place, we now have events, Foursquare Blog
- Twitter’s t.co link shortening service is game changing – here’s why, distilled
Video, Music & Image Search
- Magnifier: Taking a closer look at great music, Official Google Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- HTML5 And The Document Outlining Algorithm – If you're not sure how and when you can or should use multiple H1 elements to structure content in a way that crawlers/indexers as well as user agents in use by humans can easily digest it, read this excellent tutorial.
- Interview With Link Building Extraordinaire Melanie Nathan – Very insigtful interview with Melanie Nathan (one of the best link builders I know). In the Interview that follows she shares some great nuggest of link building wisdom. Enjoy!
- Why Google Panda slapped quality sites – Very interesting thoughts on how Panda has worked and failed and why sites with great content got nailed by Panda.