SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 20, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google’s Matt Cutts Video Presentation On SEO
I have seen Matt Cutts of Google speak dozens of times, I have seen dozens of videos of SEO tips from Matt, I have read hundreds of blog posts from Matt – but nothing compares to his presentation given at WordCamp. Lucky, the presentation was recorded and is available for everyone to watch. [...]
- Yahoo’s Social Plan: Twitter, Twitter, & More Twitter?
Is it just me, or does Yahoo have a thing for Twitter? Watching Yahoo’s moves this year is like watching a kid in class fall head-over-heels for the prettiest girl in class. He scribbles her initials inside his notebook and tries to impress her at every turn. She never seems to reply, at least not [...]
- You Don’t Own Your Own Business Details Anymore
Who owns your business details – your phone number, address, company name? As the owner of a business, do you have the right to choose where your details are listed online in search engines, directory sites, blogs, forums, social networks, and, do you have the right to force such sites to remove your details?
What are [...]
- Best Search Engine In Canada? Hitwise Says It’s Bing
In a detailed report about the Canadian search landscape, Hitwise says Bing is the best search engine at producing “successful searches,” beating out both Google and Yahoo, as well as their Canada-specific search engines.
The chart above, provided specifically to Search Engine Land, shows that Bing is the 6th most popular search engine in Canada, but [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Can Yahoo’s Carol Bartz Outsmart Microsoft And Google?, Forbes
- Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg, Forbes
- Five Bing Contest Web Apps Chosen, to be Judged at Gnomedex, Bing
- TNT and CNN Clips to Appear on YouTube, New York Times
- YouTube Pumps More Ads Into Lineup, Wall Street Journal
Local, Maps & Mobile
- So Much For Google The ISP, Huh? – Mountain View Wi-Fi Project 3 Years Later…, dslreports.com
- Google Maps Customer Service Hall of Shame – What goes on in your neighborhood?, Mike Blumenthal
- New Image Search Results for Feature Phones, Official Google Mobile Blog
- Flight Searches Vary Dramatically by Engine, Hitwise
- Google Video Porn in Universal Results For Famous Indian Actress, Rambha, Search Engine Roundtable
- What We’ve Been Doing This Summer, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- How Savvy Advertising Agencies Outsource Search, AIM Clear Blog
- SEO Astrology: What’s Your Sign Baby, Search Engine People
- Why "SEO Experts" Get a Bad Rep from Newbies, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- 86% Of SEOs Say They Can Rank #1 In Both Google.com & Regional Googles, Search Engine Roundtable
- Are links in footers treated differently than paragraph links?, YouTube
- Don’t Let Your "New" Go To Waste. RSS It!, Search Engine Guide
- How To Use Multivariate Testing For Web Page SEO Elements (Thanks YouTube), Search Engine Optimization Journal
- Managing User Generated Reviews for the Maximum SEO Benefit, Site Visibility
- Microsoft Claims To Fix Fake Referrals or "Single Word Query" Complaint, Search Engine Roundtable
- More about generic TLDs in (say) UK results, Matt Cutts
- Rogue Facebook apps steal log-in data, send spam, CNET News
- Confirmed: Facebook Expanding Gift Shop to Include Virtual and Physical Goods from Developers Tonight, Inside Facebook
- Twitter Mania In China: Another Microblogging Service Being Tested (SINA, SOHU), Business Insider
Video, Music & Image Search
- Collaborate on Picasa Web Albums, Google Photos Blog
- Flickr Censors Political Image Critical of President Obama, Thomas Hawk Digital Connection
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.