SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 24, 2011
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- America’s Fastest Growing Search Marketing Companies
Each year, Inc. Magazine releases its Inc. 500/5000 list of the fastest growing companies in America. We’re proud to announce that Search Engine Land’s parent company, Third Door Media, made the Inc. 5000 list this year. Who gets chosen? Inc. says, “The 2011 Inc. 500|5000 is ranked according to percentage revenue growth from 2007 through [...]
- Google’s +1 Button Now Works With Google +, Go Figure!
Google has announced that the Google +1 button now works with Google’s social network, Google +. +1 Button Sharing on Google + Now when you click a +1 button on a publisher web site, such as this one, you will be able to share that article directly with your Google + circles. All you do [...]
- Updated: Google Settles DOJ Pharmacy Ad Investigation With $500 Million
Google has agreed to forfeit $500 million and to more tightly comply with laws surrounding online pharmacy advertising, after a Department of Justice investigation found it both allowed and helped Canadian pharmacies that were advertising and selling to U.S. consumers in violation of federal law. The $500 million penalty is one of the largest in [...]
- Google Tweaking AdWords Keyword Tool To Accommodate 2500 Terms
Google is working on an update to the AdWords Keyword Tool that will allow marketers to input 2500 keywords — up from just 100 — to generate new keyword ideas. The folks at Hobo SEO in the UK spotted that this change is in the works, noting that they were able to input a lot [...]
- How To Post Your Google+ Feed To Facebook And Twitter
One of the questions that we see a great deal of on our Search Engine Land Facebook Page and LinkedIn Group is “How can we get our Google+ feed to post in Facebook and Twitter?” The correct answer to that question is that no official way exists to have the networks play nice. However, with the [...]
- Jorge Luis Borges Google Logo
Today on Google’s home page is a special logo for Jorge Luis Borges. His birthday was today 112 years ago. He is most well known for his books named Ficciones in 1944 and The Aleph in 1949. The books are in the genre of science fiction and in the genre of “magic realism.” As you [...]
- Hello, Goodbye: 5 Lessons Learned 5 Weeks Into A New In House SEO Position
When I told my editor Elisabeth that I wanted my next in-house column to cover my experience changing companies – from Avvo to Urbanspoon – she smiled – “you know this has been done before in this column, right?” And she’s right. Even in a nascent industry like SEO, fluid job markets mean that some [...]
- 5 Reasons Why Brand Marketers Should Use Search Retargeting
Are you looking to create brand awareness online? Wouldn’t it be great if you could target consumers who recently searched on your targeted terms? Well that’s exactly what search retargeting can help you do. It offers brand marketers a very precise method to reach their audiences. Let’s take a look at why. Search Retargeting In [...]
- What To Do When Your Brand Message Doesn’t Match How People Search
SEO is all about words. Which words people search with; how to use them; and where to put them. Choosing the right keywords is imperative to the success of any SEO campaign. Unfortunately, selecting these keywords isn’t always as simple as it would seem. Many B2B companies have very specific marketing and messaging philosophies that [...]
- Google’s Horowitz: “We Need To Improve” Google Plus & Facebook’s Sharing Controls Are “Familiar”
In what amounted to a “State of Google Plus” talk today, Google’s Bradley Horowitz said “we need to improve,” hinted at some features that may be in Google’s pipeline and called Facebook’s new sharing controls “familiar.” Horowitz, the VP of Product for Google Plus, spoke to Tim O’Reilly during an hour-long, live webcast conversation that [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
- Twitter Seeks First Public Relations Help in Five-Year Run, Ad Age
- Google Explains Why Their Customer Service Sucks, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google May Acquire Internet Firms in Southeast Asia, Follows LivingSocial, Bloomberg
- Zillow hits profitability, posts 116% revenue gain in first earnings report as a public company, GeekWire
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Searchable Databases of Historic Earthquake Info (Both Global and Regional Data), INFOdocket
- Street View’s 1st images to be from J’lem, Ynetnews
- Search Influence Named In 2011 Inc. 500, searchinfluence.com
SEO & SEM
- Linkscape Updates and Wireframes/Feedback on New Task List PRO Feature, SEOmoz
- Bing Uses Meta Keywords, Google Doesn’t – Will You Deploy Them?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Content Marketing for the Talent-Impaired, SEOmoz
- Forget About SEO and Do This Instead for Traffic: Much More Effective and Quick Results, Techipedia
- Godaddy & Google Webmaster Tools Bug, Search Engine Roundtable
- How Social Media Affects SEO, quicksprout.com
- HubPages CEO on Google’s Panda algorithm: SEO doesn’t work!!!, ZDNet
- If I don’t need to block crawlers, should I create a robots.txt file?, YouTube
- Local SEO, Designing for Engagement and Bruce Clay Unplugged – SEO Newsletter, BruceClay.com
- You’re Sitting On Top Secret SEO Info (At Your Finger Tips!), Search Engine People
- One Year Later, Facebook Killing Off Places …To Put Location Everywhere, TechCrunch
- A Trillion Pageviews for Facebook, Digital Inspiration
- Facebook, Twitter up despite Google+, content.usatoday.com
- Five Steps to Building Your Social Capital, Search Engine People
- From Point A to Point B(ish): Getting Started on Facebook, Search Engine People
- Steven Levy on Letting Bots Do Our Tweeting for Us, Wired
Video, Music & Image Search
- Introducing Multi-Channel Funnels: discover untapped opportunities in your conversion path, Google Analytics Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- How do you keep Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc. from being a timesink/distraction? – A client recently asked me for tips to stay focused and not let Twitter and Facebook become a distraction. It's something that social networking newcomers probably struggle with a lot — but speaking from experience, those sites break my focus at times, too, even after many years using them. In our "discussion of the week," please share your tips for making sure social media doesn't turn into a daily timesink. (Squirrel!)
- It’s 2011. Do You Know Who Your Competitors Are? – Lisa Barone discusses competition outside of just brick and motor businesses.
- Google Hates Your New Ads – Alright, so maybe that’s a bit much. Google doesn’t hate your new ads, it just don’t know them yet. I’m sure once they spend some time together they’ll get along just fine. Allow me to explain…
- Facebook Falters While StumbleUpon Races By – StumbleUpon CEO Garrett Camp, was all a Twitter on Friday when he got the news that StumbleUpon now drives 50% of all social media referral traffic in the US. The added bonus, they crawled up over Facebook to do it.
- What’s The Difference Between Mobile & Desktop SEO? – One of the questions I get most often about mobile SEO is this: I’m already doing SEO– do I really need to do mobile SEO separately? What’s the difference between the two?
- Science, Not Guesswork, Will Bring Social Media Out of the Dark Ages – Some solid analogies are put forth in this piece. Worth a read if you consider yourself more of a marketing scientist than artist.
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.