Sign up for weekly recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 27, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- International SEM Goes Beyond Simple Translation: Q&A With Latin3’s Matias Perel
Because only a fraction of the world’s population resides here in the United States, the idea of global reach is a tempting one. There are some obvious business issues for anyone attempting to market to international consumers, and those challenges certainly extend to the realm of search engine marketing.
Regardless of the complications of doing business […]
- Why Bing+Yahoo Means 5% Less Organic Traffic
Bing is now powering Yahoo’s organic results, and retailers wonder how this algorithmic shift will impact their organic traffic with holiday season just around the corner. Market share trends all seem positive so where’s the beef? While I’m a fan of the direction Bing is taking, don’t expect this market shift to produce short-term organic […]
- Google Middle Aligning Search Results?
Google Operating System reports some users are seeing Google search results center or middle aligned. For some reason, Google may be testing padding white space on the right and left of the search results.
I personally cannot replicate it but Google Operating System posted a screen shot, which I will share here […]
- Survey: Older Americans Flocking To Social Media
Teenagers have been grappling with a tough question lately: What do I do when mom tries to friend me on Facebook?
Well, you ain’t seen nothing yet, whippersnappers. There’s a new dilemma you better start thinking about: What do you do when grandma sends a friend request?
That’s more and more likely according to a new report […]
- Keywords, Aboutness & SEO
Do your web pages, graphic images, and videos effectively communicate aboutness to both web searchers and search engines? How do search engines and searchers determine aboutness?
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Easier event scheduling in Google Calendar, Official Gmail Blog
- Google fixes Gmail bug that re-sent e-mail messages, Computerworld
- Conversations with Yahoo! Mail: Why We’re Going Social, ymailblog.com
- Google Chrome Labs, Google Operating System
- Google Talk turns 5!, juberjabber
- An update on JavaOne, Google Code Blog
- An update on our ITA Software acquisition, Google Public Policy Blog
- Google buys Angstro and hires founder to help build social networking service to rival Facebook’s, Los Angeles Times
- Google Wins Dismissal of Emergency Suit in Hamburg Over Music Video Access, Bloomberg
- Microsoft Co-Founder Paul Allen Sues, Apple, Google & Nine Other Giants, paidContent.org
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Go East!, Google LatLong
- Google Maps Compass Navigator Doesn’t Change Using Click To Navigate, Search Engine Roundtable
- MerchantCircle Introduces "Local Content Studio" to Enhance Consumer Search Experience and Expand Merchant Exposure, marketwire.com
- Verified A 3rd Party’s Business In Google Places? Google Says Delete It, Search Engine Roundtable
- How to Promote Link Worthy Content, Vertical Measures
Paid Search & Contextual
- Analyze Competition live in all English language accounts, Inside AdWords
- Strategy Roundtable: 85-90% Of Search Traffic Comes From Organic Search, Read/Write Web
- Is Google Objective?, John Battelle’s Searchblog
- Resource of the Week: MarineTraffic.com, ResourceShelf
- End Of An Era…And, Beginning Anew, Bing Community
- Online Reputation Management Expert Interview with David Wallace, Vertical Measures
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: August 27, 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Does Adding NoIndex To Some Pages Impact Pages Without NoIndex?, Search Engine Roundtable
- E-Commerce SEO: Making Product Pages into Great Content – Whiteboard Friday, SEOmoz
- Google’s Underlying Plan for HTML5 and Rich Snippets, seogadget.co.uk
- How to Ensure Your Website Gets Some Action, Search Engine Guide
- PPC Testing Made Easier with AdWords Campaign Experiments, Search Engine Guide
- Research into Search and Branding: A Recap, Search Engine Watch
- The Rewards of Quality Information Architecture, BruceClay
- Time for another look at TrustRank concepts, Search Engine Journal
- Video Sitemap Content Must Match On Page Content, Search Engine Roundtable
- Am I mayor yet?, foursquare
- Facebook: Actually, there are 44 million active monthly users of our iPhone app, not 104 million, Engadget
- Relevantly Speaking | Digg’s Top Female Submitter of All Time, Mediatrust Blog
- Social From the Ground Up, Facebook Developers
- Google Buzz API adds Track and some improvements, Google Code Blog
- The March Of Twitter: Analysis of How And Where Twitter Spread, hubspot.com
- Yahoo Okays Revenue Streams in its Social Streams, programmableweb.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- Find out what’s hot on search with the Google Beat, Official Google Blog
- YouTube Debuts New Movies Section With 400 Free, Full-Length Films, TechCrunch
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Google Responds To Pagination SEO Questions – A summary of one of the most detailed discussions on the topic of pagination with a Googler and some of the brightest SEOs covering the various options.
- Google universal ranking factors: an overview of resources – A great collection of resources and links for all types of Google Universal Search ranking factors, from video to news, from blogsearch to maps. Assembled by Jeroen van Eck from State of Search.
- How we made an extra £14 million a year for a travel company – Sunshine.co.uk are a UK-based travel agency offering cheap holidays. Within six months of working with Conversion Rate Experts, their conversion rate almost doubled. Read how they did it here…
- Official: Yahoo’s Results Now Come From Bing – It's official! Yahoo is now officially being powered by Bing.
- How To Secure WordPress Against Disasters & Being Hacked – Here @Alysson talks about necessary steps you need to take to protect your WordPress blog being hacked. She shares very insightful 'how tos' on ways to implement your sites security.
- Enhanced CPC – a Clever New Google Tool, or Just the Lazy Way to Manage Your Bids? – Enhanced CPC – all sounds good, but will this tool really make that much of a difference? What’s the difference between this and Conversion Optimiser, which also promises to boost your ROI with an easy-to-use bidding tool?