Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 30, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing Mobile App Comes To Verizon Android Handsets
Microsoft previously said there was going to be an Android version of Bing soon, following its successful iPhone app. Today there is — for Verizon Android handsets only however. It was announced on the Bing Community Blog.
I’m sure a more general Bing-Android app will be out in the not to distant future.
Although it’s overshadowed by […]
- Google & AP Extend Long-Term Content Deal
After months of being without a long-term content deal, Google and the Associated Press have finally renewed their vows. Google will continue to host AP stories on Google News and have access to AP’s news feeds without fear that the AP will make legal claims against the company. From the announcement:
We’ve extended our existing licensing […]
- Angstro Buy, Shopping, Gaming Investments Point To Multi-Pronged Google Social Strategy
Last week Google acquired Angstro. The site has been described as a way to discover and organize information about individuals across various professional networks. Here’s how Angstro describes itself:
Ångströ represents the ability to hone in on highly focused, relevant news across professional networks. Where search engines such as Google and other news aggregator […]
- Report: Google’s YouTube To Offer Streaming Pay-Per-View Hollywood Rentals
Google plans pay-per-view films from the Financial Times reports Google is in talks with several major Hollywood film companies to offer a pay-per-view service of their films.
Reports say that the streaming movie service from YouTube will bring these movies to online consumers at about $5 per movie. The movies would not download to […]
- Mary Shelley Google Doodle: Frankenstein
Google has a special logo on many of the Google properties, not Google U.S., for Mary Shelley. Mary Shelley is well known for novel, Frankenstein. The Google Doodle is a gothic theme, which conveys Mary Shelley’s work as a writer.
She started writing Frankenstein at the age of 18, completed it a […]
- Paid Search Strategies For Boosting Holiday Season Profits
Will this year be the year when online holiday sales return to double digit growth? Or will the holidays once again deliver lackluster growth in the low single digits for online advertisers? While predicting how much consumers will buy may be difficult, predicting how they will likely behave is not. We recently […]
- Effectively Prioritizing Your Paid Search Tasks
In my last Paid Search column I wrote about six common business fallacies that lead paid search managers to spend time unproductively. Unproductive work is costly in that someone internally or externally is paid to do work that adds no value, and that same person is prevented from doing work that is valuable.
Prioritizing tasks […]
- SMX East: Speakers Announced, Rates Increase Soon – Register Now!
Early bird rates for Search Marketing Expo – SMX East end soon. Save up to $300 on your All Access ticket by registering now! Why should you join us October 4-6 in New York City?
More than 100 of the world’s most knowledgeable speakers will present at SMX East. They’re selected based on ability AND willingness […]
- Solving “Local” Challenges: Combating Bulk Calls
If you a) believe in the power of search—as a technology, as a consumer experience and as a business model, and b) believe in the economic promise of the “local” opportunity, then you need to commit to a simple axiom: the ultimate destiny of a local search is a phone call.
Two relatively new macro trends […]
- Yelp COO Geoff Donaker To Keynote SMX East
We’re delighted to announce that Yelp Chief Operating Officer Geoff Donaker will be in the spotlight for SMX East’s second day keynote on Tuesday, October 5th. Combining local search with customer reviews, special offers and a healthy dose of social interaction, Yelp is an indispensable resource for local businesses and those who enjoy “getting out […]
- Google Adds A Filter For Finding Blogs
Google has added a new filter to its blog search option that makes it easier to find blogs themselves, not just individual blog posts. The filter is part of Google.com search, not Google’s specific Blog Search service at blogsearch.google.com.
The filter appears in the left-side menu. When you choose the Blogs option after your search, it […]
- The Google Beat: Google Starts Vlogging About Hot Search Topics
Google has launched a new videoblog series that will highlight “some of the hottest searches” on Google’s U.S. search engine. It’s called The Google Beat, and the first weekly video was published this morning. Here’s how Google explains it:
Using data from Google Trends, Google Insights for Search and some additional tools, the Google Beat will […]
- Paul Allen Sues Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Others Over Patents
Paul Allen, the Microsoft co-founder and one of the richest men on earth, has filed a patent infringement suit today against several Internet titans, the Wall Street Journal reports.
The lawsuit centers on technology developed a decade ago by Interval Research Corp., a technology lab that Allen owned between 1992 and 2000. Eleven companies are […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Bigger, better Google Finance charts — and how to get the most out of them, Google Finance Blog
- Six Things Google’s Free Phone Service Can’t Do (and One It Does Very Well), New York Times
- Google Reader now showing all-time read counts, Fors
- Yahoo’s July 2010 Retail Insights, Yahoo! Advertising Blog
- Bubble Blinders: The Untold Story of the Search Business Model, TechCrunch
- Google Invests $86 Million In Low-Income Housing, TechCrunch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- New Look & Features for Route Planner, MapQuest Blog
- Remembering Hurricane Katrina, Google LatLong
- More Updates to the New MapQuest, MapQuest Blog
- Nearby Friends: New Cyber-Stalking App for Tracking Facebook Places Check-Ins, Read/Write Web
- Why Link Exchanges Are Like Mosquitoes, ProBlogger
- 5 Link Building Questions That Make Me Die a Little Inside, Search Engine Journal
- 7 Different Visualisations of Link Profiles, SEOmoz
Paid Search & Contextual
- Scheduled Maintenance May Delay Reports for Up to 24 Hours, adCenter API Blog for Developers
- AdSense email preferences: Get the most from your account and from Google, Inside AdSense
- Clarifying Base Bids: Enhancing and Optimizing for Position in Microsoft Advertising adCenter, adCenter Blog
- Google AdSense Ad Links, Little But Powerful, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google AdWords Fixes Month Logo Google Certification Program Logo Problem, Search Engine Roundtable
- More advertiser control on YouTube, YouTube Blog
- Retargeting Ads Follow Surfers to Other Sites, New York Times
- Back to the future: Yahoo’s Time Explorer is a search engine for the past and future, thenextweb.com
- Internet may phase out printed Oxford Dictionary, Yahoo! News
- Israel: Online Databases: GuideStar Israel (30,000 Registered Non-Profits), ResourceShelf
- Resource of the Week: BBC British Novelists Archive Collection, ResourceShelf
- Ruud Questions: Brett Tabke, Search Engine People
- Summer fun at the Goog, Wyszdom
- 23 walls of Googley, Official Google Blog
- Everything I Know About Marketing I Learned From Google : Aaron Goldman Book Blog Tour, David Dalka
SEO & SEM
- Bad SEO Advice, Nine By Blue
- Evolve Your Long Tail SEO Strategy: Exact Fails, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Says Using Google Translate Can Be Against Google’s Webmaster Guidelines, Search Engine Roundtable
- How Google Cost Me $4 Million, inc.com
- How Google May Rank Blogs, SEO By The Sea
- Online Marketing – How Times Have Changed, Search Engine Journal
- Possible Google MayDay Algorithm Tweak?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Search Marketing, Twitter-Style!, American Express OPEN Forum
- Select your killer keyphrases with this simple method, SEO Copywriting
- SEO, Meet Server. Server, Meet SEO., Search Engine Watch
- The Definitive Guide to Image Search Optimisation, State of Search
- The SMB Owners ‘Hurry Up & To Do’ List, outspokenmedia.com
- What’s a good way to kick off a new RSS feed?, YouTube
- “Photo Memories” Coming to Facebook Places?, mashable.com
- Digg v4: release, iterate, repeat., Kevin Rose
- Is 2011 The Year of the Social Media Bubble, Search Engine Guide
- Facebook "Like Farms" Are Spamming Up Your News Feed, Business Insider
- How to Update Your Facebook Page: Vary, Schedule and Automate, blueglass.com
- MySpace Introduces Sync with Facebook, MySpace Press Room
- Reddit Takes Over Digg (#diggrevolt Part 2?), brentcsutoras.com
- Twitter Applications and OAuth, Twitter Blog
Video, Music & Image Search
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Time for another look at TrustRank concepts – This one has been on my mind for 6 months, finally got around to finishing it up. Exceptional content? Dunno, but damned important and over-looked. Is it from SEJ? Yea, sorry Michael… Am I also be a cheecky fella today? U bet, sleep deprivation does wonders! hee hee… But heed these words I tell ya!
- Google Helping Slimeballs Profit from Golfer’s Death – Terrible story about people who are taking advantage of an expired domain and Google to profit from the name and death of a young female golfer.