SearchCap: The Day In Search, August 30, 2013
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the Web.
From Search Engine Land:
- 10 Features Unique To Bing Ads That You Might Not Know About
On the Bing Ads blog this week Marta Turek from Mediative spotlighted several features offered in Bing Ads that are not available in Google AdWords. Most PPC practitioners spend more time in AdWords than Bing Ads, so it can be hard to keep up with the different features offered in Bing Ads. AdWords users will be familiar with the […]
- Search In Pics: Google Glass Sign, Google Cargo Truck & Yahoo’s 30 Days Of Logos
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the Web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more. Google Dice: Source: Google+ Google Glass Neon Sign: Source: Flickr Google Cargo Truck: Source: Google+ Shimon […]
- SEO Ambiguity & Pattern Recognition
As search marketers, we constantly have to deal with ambiguity — whether trying to reverse engineer a Google algorithm or simply prioritize and forecast the impact of the SEO recommendations we’re making. In this article, we’re going to explore what drives SEO ambiguity. Spoiler alert: some major survival skills are required. When dealing with SEO […]
- Is PageRank Finally Dead? It Seems To Be, At Least In The Google Toolbar
Want to know what the PageRank of a page is? The ability to easily do this using the Google Toolbar has gotten harder over the years, with the latest blow being no update in values for the past six months. The Google Toolbar is how non-tech-savvy people can discover how much Google trusts a page, […]
- Bing Ads Sneak Peeks Editor Updates, Acknowledges Burning Mac Version Question
Microsoft’s Ping Jen has posted a look at upcoming changes to Bing Ads Editor, the desktop tool for managing Bing Ads campaigns. The changes include an updated user interface (UI) and faster data uploading. The UI updates are designed to make the editor align with “what you’re already familiar with.” In other words, your “muscle […]
- Twitter Now Shows Protected Tweets In Its Search Results, But Not All Can See Them
Twitter has made a small change in how it handles protected tweets in its search results. The company tweeted the news that some protected tweets will now be visible in search results — but they’ll only be visible to the user who has the protected account, and to that user’s followers. Prior to this change, […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Google Job Postings Offer Insight On Company’s Future Top Level Domain Program
- Facebook May Expand Use Of Facial Recognition To Billion+ Public User Profile Pictures
- Who Needs Foursquare More: Google, Yahoo Or Microsoft?
- Is Your Marketing Program Ready For Holiday?
- Caught Redd-Handed: How Trying To Game Reddit Can Backfire For Brands
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google’s Matt Cutts Fires Off Inconspicuous Warning To Ghost Networks, Search Engine Roundtable
- How to Find Content Promotion & Link Building Opportunities, buzzstream.com
- Link Building 101: How to Conduct a Backlink Analysis, Search Engine Watch
- Using Wistia’s customisable embed settings to build links with your video content, distilled
- Take a Ride with Wolfram|Alpha’s Amusement Park Data, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- Google: My Traffic Has Gradually Declined Over Several Months, Search Engine Roundtable
- Have Google Made The Content Landscape Better Or Worse? Discuss, koozai.com
- Matt Cutt’s Fumbles Tweet – Penguin 2.0 Leaked, godoveryou.com
- Recover from a Google penalty & learn ecommerce SEO best practice: see @Tim_Grice at #BrightonSEO, Branded3
- The Curious Case of Webmaster Central Search Query Data, thenextcorner.net
SEM / Paid Search
- Discovering Keywords with the Google Keyword Planner, blog.adstage.io
- Google AdWords In-Search Campaigns Bug Not A Real Bug, Search Engine Roundtable
- Infographic: Yahoo! Bing Network Shows Growth for RKG Search Marketing Clients, Bing Ads Blog
- SEO Clients: Getting the Best out of the Worst, Search Engine Journal
- Video: Google Drops Keyword Tool, No PageRank Updates, Google Hits Ghost Networks & Ballmer Retires From Microsoft, Search Engine Roundtable
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.