SearchCap: The Day In Search, December 15, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Yahoo Showing Local Results On Non-Local Queries
Following in others’ footsteps, Yahoo says it’s now showing its local shortcut on certain queries that don’t include a local modifier.
When you search for the name of a business, or a local business category, Yahoo will show the local shortcut if it believes the search has local intent. For me, typing “pizza” into Yahoo’s [...]
- Linkable Asset Inventory: A Starting Point For New Link Building Campaigns
What is it about your website (or your organization) that is truly linkable? What’s the most effective way to structure a link building campaign? What is the most effective first task for a link builder?
By creating an inventory of link building assets, you lay the foundation for a sustainable link building campaign, whether you’re a [...]
- The L. L. Zamenhof Google Logo
The Google home page is featuring a logo for the 150th birthday of L. L. Zamenhof. L. L. Zamenhof is known for inventing a constructed language designed for international communication known as Esperanto. According to Wikipedia, Esperanto is used by 100,000 and 2 million speakers for over a century and has 1,000 native [...]
- Page Load Speed & The Local Hosting Issue
Does local hosting matter for rankings internationally? Will it be even more significant after page load speed becomes part of the Google algorithm? Is there a one-size-fits-all solution?
- Supporting A Global Brand Campaign With Paid Search, Part 3
If you’ve been around me you’ve probably heard me say this, but it bears repeating: As soon as you, the marketer, pay for a search click, someone will want to know what you got for it.
This means that you will need effective ways to both optimize and report out results on your campaign. This [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- New in Labs: Mark unread from here, Official Gmail Blog
- Announcing bit.ly Pro, bit.ly blog
- Google’s reCAPTCHA busted by new attack, The Register
- Google to Power Search and Ads on Mail.ru, Quintura blog
- YouTube looks at subscriptions, more ad dollars, Reuters
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Facebook For Android Just Got A Big Upgrade, Is Catching Up To Its iPhone Cousin, TechCrunch
- Google LBC: Data Rich Dashboard Fails at Math (amongst other things), Mike Blumenthal
- Google Nexus One ROM leaks, specs listed: 802.11n & Snapdragon onboard, SlashGear
- Google Places Pages Upgraded – Owner Verified Checkmark and More Sentiment Details Now Show, Mike Blumenthal
- Major Pre-Holiday Enhancements to the MapQuest Mobile Product Suite!, MapQuest Blog
- More information, fewer clicks, Google LatLong
Paid Search & Contextual
- Upcoming AdWords API v2009 Hack Days in San Francisco & New York, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Suggest – Broken and Filled with Porn and Children, Michael Gray
- The holiday season and Google News Archive Search, Google News Blog
- Announcing SMX SphinnCon Israel 2010: March 7, 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- How Search Engines Might Devine the Intent behind Regional Queries vs. Global Queries, SEO By The Sea
- Is your site ready for search marketing?, Search Engine Guide
- Ways to review your SEO campaign for 2010, Vertical Leap Blog
- Why Conversions Can Be a Messy SEO Metric, Search Engine Journal
- A feature test with businesses, Twitter Blog
- Why Social Beats Search, www.avc.com
- Find people faster with LinkedIn’s new faceted search, The LinkedIn Blog
- How to Convince a Client to Approve Your Viral Content Proposal, 10e20
- Is Facebook unethical, clueless or unlucky?, Jason Calacanis
- Why SEO is Easier than Social Media Marketing, Techipedia
Video, Music & Image Search
- New Google Analytics API Features, Google Analytics Blog
- The Yahoo! online holiday card is here!, Yodel Anecdotal
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.