Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Search In Pictures: Yahoo Shovel, Santa & Holiday Parties
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more.
- Google To Monetize Friend Connect?
Michael Arrington said he has confirmed reports that Google employees call Google Friend Connect, “Friendsense.” Friend Connect is Google’s social widget that site owners can add to their site to help bridge other Google account users together. Google launched it early this year and then made it widely available to anyone to add to their web sites. Arrington suspects that Google will soon monetize Friend Connect “as a shoehorn to insert advertising onto third party websites.” I would not argue with that.
- Christmas Logos From Google & Others
Happy Holidays from Search Engine Land! Below is a listing of special logos from Google and the search industry for the holidays. I also posted this at the Search Engine Roundtable, with links to the past five years of logos from our industry. Everyone, have a happy holidays and thank you all for reading!
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Feedback from my Parents, Matt Cutts
- Internet Overtakes Newspapers as News Source, Pew Research Center
- Top Google Products in 2008, Google Operating System
- Google, Apple, Microsoft Sued Over File Preview, PC World
- Big Brother Google?, Daily News Egypt
- The Ultimate Google Killer, MediaPost
- What Is Link Building?, Vertical Measures Blog
Paid Search & Contextual
- How’d You Do With Google AdSense this Holiday?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google 2008 in 12 Pictures, Google Operating System
- Derek Edmond: Search Blogger of the Day, The SEO Scoop
- Google, Microsoft, Yahoo Rattle SEO In 2009, MediaPost
- Googlers Working on Christmas in 2008, Search Engine Roundtable
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: December 26, 2008, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- A Christmas Present for SEOs: 10 Tips to Pick the Low Hanging Fruit, SEOmoz
- Quick Guide: Double The Value of Your Premium Parked Domain, Patrick Gavin
- The Growth of the Content Middle Man, seoroi.com
- Compound Return on Social Media Marketing, Search Engine Guide
- Google’s future: Predictions for 2009, Googling Google
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Sphinn Needs to Become the Techmeme of Search
- How to Massively Increase RSS Subscribers: One Method You’ve Never Used
- Bounce Rate SEO Fallacies
- Happy 5th Birthday to Search Engine Roundtable