Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, February 16, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Is Facebook Becoming More Important Than Google?
That intentionally “inflammatory” headline is inspired by an article that appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle yesterday, “Facebook directs more online users than Google.” The article cites Compete data and says, “Facebook has passed search-engine giant Google to become the top source for traffic to major portals like Yahoo and MSN, and is among the […]
- Blog Links That Bring Traffic, Not Trouble
If you’re one of those people who is opposed to blog links, then you’re not thinking of inbound links as a potential to send qualified traffic to your site, and that’s a serious marketing mistake. Occasionally one of our clients will state that they’d no longer like us to pursue blog links, and we argue […]
- There’s No Right Way To Blog
Until very recently, research company Forrester had been one of the poster-children of people wishing to show how companies have grown their business on the back of a deep understanding of social media.
Its analysts, including Groundswell author Charlene Li, not only produced research on how businesses and consumers were using social media, but also used […]
- Just Two Weeks Until SMX West – Register Today!
Search Marketing Expo – SMX West kicks off in 2 weeks at the Santa Clara Convention Center. Are you ready to experience the 100% search focused agenda, presented by the most qualified search experts, and network with the search community?
Register for your All Access pass and get 3 days of exceptional content and invaluable industry […]
- Global Vs. Local: How To Let Google Know How To Treat Your Site
As the search engines rapidly move to offer more locally focused search results, those managing large global, single domain sites are facing more and more difficulties in getting them indexed, detected as local, then ranked in the local search results.
This is especially true with Google in English and Spanish speaking countries where it is getting […]
- Google Blurs The Line Between Paid & Unpaid Results Again
Google has a new program that allows local businesses to get paid listings that appear within what’s known as the 7-pack of local listings. But do those listings violate the Federal Trade Commission’s guidelines about proper disclosure of paid search ads? Probably not, but they do seem confusing.
The New York Times had a good article […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Hires eBay Veteran for New Commerce Position, New York Times
- Long-Time Director Burkle To Quit Yahoo Board, paidContent.org
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google: Android now shipping on 60,000 handsets per day, mobilecrunch.com
- New Yelp Business Categories, webranking.com
- Show the Number of Search Results in Google Mobile Search, Google Operating System
- The Freshest Linkscape Data Ever, SEOmoz
- Bing Leads Customers To Competitors With Their Best Match Information, Search Engine Roundtable
- Yahoo! Search on the Airwaves, Yahoo Search Blog
SEO & SEM
- Google Image Search Filter Now Faster?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Is it worth spending time on tagging blog posts?, YouTube
- Rumor: Google Search Updates Rolls Out First to Mobile Devices, Search Engine Roundtable
- New Facebook Statistics Show Big Increase in Content Sharing, Local Business Pages, Inside Facebook
- Social Media Optimization: SMO is the New SEO, Brian Solis
- Spammers already targeting Google Buzz, computerworld.com
- Why You Should Have a Secondary Twitter Account, Techipedia
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google Goggles Getting OCR Translations, TechCrunch
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site: