SearchCap: The Day In Search, February 26, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Yahoo Search Updating: Weather Reports Go Away?
I am fairly confident that Yahoo Search is currently updating their index and algorithm now. Dozens of webmasters and SEOs are noticing this update and discussing it at WebmasterWorld, but the Yahoo Search Blog has no mention of it.
Typically, Yahoo posts updates, which they call weather reports, when Yahoo is updating their index or […]
- SEO 3.0 = Digital Asset Optimization
Our industry rolls along at breakneck speed. We are peeking around the corner trying to get a glimpse of Web 3.0 and big brand marketers are certainly investing heavily in the digital assets that make your user experience more engaging. Problem is that the search engines are still firmly rooted in Web 1.0. […]
- Yahoo CEO Bartz: New Management To Make Yahoo “A Lot Faster On Its Feet”
People have been writing about the forthcoming management changes at Yahoo for a few weeks. Now they’re starting to kick in officially. Yesterday Yahoo Connected Life chief Marco Boerries resigned and today, in something of a surprise, Yahoo CFO Blake Jorgensen also resigned.
Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz wrote a blog post explaining in general terms what’s […]
- Should YouTube Sponsored Video Ads Be In Your Marketing Mix?
According to comScore, YouTube surpassed Yahoo! as the #2 search engine in terms of search query volume in August of last year. Recently, Google used the functionality of AdWords to launch the new YouTube sponsored video product, which allows advertisers to bid on keywords that trigger their video ad to appear in the YouTube search […]
- Yahoo Adds Facebook As A SearchMonkey Friend
Thanks to Yahoo’s SearchMonkey, you’ll be able to poke your friends right from a page of Yahoo search results. Yahoo has announced that Facebook enhanced results are now turned on by default across Yahoo search results. This means that any Facebook user who has allowed his/her profile to be publicly viewable and searchable can now […]
- Google Maps Adds User Photos To Street View
Google has added geo-tagged Panoramio photos to StreetView images. According to the Google LatLong Blog it’s done automatically:
Google’s image-matching algorithms will analyze them at some point to see if they are also a good match for a Street View location.
Google has offered images on Maps for some time, but not directly integrated into StreetView like this.
- Report: Lack Of Buying Searchers Leading To Depressing Search Ad Market
I have been fascinated watching how the search ad space has been impacted by the current global recession. Rimm-Kaufman has posted early first quarter PPC data show the weak trends in retail for search advertisers. Let me summarize his retail client data:
Approximately 20% reduction in sales from search ads from last year
Approximately 20% reduction […]
- Google Gets On Twitter
If you are a Twitter addict like I am and you read this site, then you will be happy to know that Google has officially signed up to Twitter at http://twitter.com/google.
The first twit, captured in the image above, was in binary and translated into “Feeling Lucky.” You can expect this account to post announcements, […]
- Google News Officially Adds Advertisements
Although many people have been noticing ads on Google News for the past few months, Google News has rolled out ads on Google News search results to all US based searchers.
Google began testing ads on Google News back in mid-November of last year. Google confirmed those tests in their blog post, […]
- Tips For Optimizing Your Local Business Listings, Courtesy of SMX West
In last month’s column, I highlighted the need for search marketers, search engines, and data providers to reach out to small business owners to increase their awareness of the free opportunities to claim their businesses online. Well, the two excellent Local Search panels at SMX West, put together by Search Engine Land’s own Greg Sterling, […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- New Status Dashboard for Google Apps, Official Google Enterprise Blog
- Translate between 41 languages with Google Translate, Official Google Blog
- Updates to attachments: multi-select and progress bars, Official Gmail Blog
- 5 Interesting Facts about Google CEO Eric Schmidt, Marketing Shift
- Google Geniuses at Work on Free Goodies, New York Times
- Yahoo executive sheds some light on thinking about search deal, MarketWatch
- Dorthy.com Hires Jim Anderson as CTO to Lead Development of Next-Generation Search Technology, BusinessWire
- Everyone’s Favorite Upstart Mom-and-Pop Search Engine Tries to Yank Watchdog’s Funding, MetaFilter
- Yahoo’s Mobile Leader Leaves, InformationWeek
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google blocks paid apps for unlocked G1 users, Macworld
- Local Search Behavior by Industry Category, Mihmorandum
- Palm Energizes Developers for the Pre Phone, Wired
- LinkSensor Does Your Page Semantic Analysis, Search Engine Journal
Paid Search & Contextual
- Get Your Geek On with Microsoft adCenter Labs, adCenter Blog for Advertisers
- 5 Burning Questions About Your Ads, Yahoo! Search Marketing Blog
- Google Tries To Get Organized On AdSense Payment Issues, Search Engine Roundtable
- Make sure your Google Analytics & AdWords accounts are linked by March 3rd, 09, Brad Geddes
- Yahoo Search Marketing Lowering Minimum Bids For Many, Search Engine Roundtable
- News Browser’s Paradise: NewsNow, LiveWire
- Vertical Search and Video SEO – SEM Synergy Extras, BruceClay.com
- Introducing ADSPACE – Contextual Advertising Conference & Expo, JenSense
- Many SEOs Get Their Hands Dirty By Coding Web Sites, Search Engine Roundtable
- SEO Guarantees – SEO Snake Oil Guaranteed, SEO Consultants
- The SEOmoz Advanced SEO Training DVD Series Now Available, SEOmoz
SEO & SEM
- Answering 5 Common SEO Shopping Questions, AIM Clear Blog
- The blurred line between what is SEO and what isn’t, Brisbane SEO Blog
- You Can Find SEO at the Top of the Mountain if You Bring the SEO with You, SageRock
- How to Grow Your Blog to the Next Level With SEO, ProBlogger
- Why have my Google rankings dropped?, SiteVisibility
- President Obama Abandons Twitter, New York Times
- Bell Mobility and Twitter—No Extra Fees, Twitter Blog
- Blogger connects to Google Friend Connect, Official Google Blog
- Facebook Opens Governance of Service and Policy Process to Users, Facebook
- Happy birthday, Yahoo! Buzz, Yodel Anecdotal
- Live Blogging The Facebook Conference Call, TechCrunch
- Upcoming Webcast: Statistics at Google, ResourceShelf
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Google Joins Twitter
- Social media myth busting – The customer’s (isn't) gonna get me!
- 3 steps to Social Media success
- Linking With “High PR website versus High PR webpage”
- 5 reasons why Google Analytics is a legitimate option for businesses
- Article Distribution vs. Guest Blogging: Is There a Difference?
- What If A Client Doesn’t Like Link Building?
- Essential Qualities of an Exceptional Link Builder
- Google Starts Twittering After GMail Crash
- How Instructional Videos Help Your Conversions & Advertising Campaigns
- How to Get Your Business Listed in Local Search Engines
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.