SearchCap: The Day In Search, February 27, 2009
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- The Big List Of Search Engines & Their Employees On Twitters
Yesterday, Google joined Twitter with a company account. We twittered a few search engine-related addresses as part of our post about that, but we wanted to do one that was a little more organized. So welcome to our big search engine Twitter list!
The list isn’t complete, nor will it ever be. But that’s how it [...]
- Search In Pictures: Google ViewMaster, Twitter & Yahoo Cake Spelling
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more. Sergey & Larry Pixelized: Big week for Twitter & Search Engines: Typo in a Yahoo Cake: A Google ViewMaster: Google’s Easter [...]
- Paid Search’s Point of Diminishing Returns
“So, how much should we spend in Search?”
Years ago, when I was a siloed search engine marketer, that answer was unequivocally: “As much as you can spend!”. Return on Investment was through the roof and paid search was setting the standard for transparent measurement. “You only pay when someone clicks and they have [...]
- Google Still Working On Making Blog Search More Relevant
It has been almost three months since Google Blog Search began indexing full text of the page and since then, there have been numerous complaints from searchers and webmasters.
The majority of the complaints are that Google Alerts are coming up for irrelevant or out dated blog results. In addition, many blogs are [...]
- Finding The Right Balance Between Search Marketing & User Experience
Yesterday a colleague asked me to find information on software application response times. I responded with some qualifying questions to refine my assistance but what it boiled down was this: the corporate powers wanted to know how much they could fudge things so that an ecommerce software application could roll out into “production” even [...]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Drawings Coming to Google Docs?, Google Blogoscoped
- AOL Ad Head Greg Coleman Reorgs Too! (It’s Spreading Like the Flu at Web Firms Today), AllThingsD by Kara Swisher
- Google hopes to find community in security contest, News.com
- Google’s Piddling $60 Promise To Writers, gawker.com
- Yahoo! India R&D head quits, The Economic Times
- Check Your Site Backlinks with LinkVooDoo, Search Engine Journal
- Whiteboard Friday – Dude, Your Links Kinda Suck, SEOmoz
Paid Search & Contextual
- AdSense Outage Is Another Google Misstep, Wall Street Journal
- Importing 3rd Party Campaigns to adCenter Desktop: Preparing Your Bulk Sheet (Part 1), adCenter Blog for Advertisers
- 6 Resources for Finding Negative Keywords, SEOptimise
- Google News Adds Over 20,000 News Sources, Search Engine Roundtable
- Indeed moves up the traffic rankings, Blog Indeed
- What if Google Was Wrong, Michael Gray
- A Summary of Danny Sullivan’s SMX Keynote, Marketing Pilgrim
- Google India SearchMasters Conference, Search Engine Journal
- SEO Certification – How do I become a Certified SEO?, SEO Consultants
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: February 27, 2009, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- How do you get a specific Web page indexed?, Search Engine Guide
- Digg Is Working On a Toolbar To Go After StumbleUpon, TinyURL, and All The Rest, TechCrunch
- Gmail Labs gadgets now support OpenSocial APIs, OpenSocial API Blog
- Facebook Pages Redesign Coming, TechCrunch
Video, Music & Image Search
- Have Questions About DMOZ? Let us know!, DMOZ Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- 10 Must Have SEO Plugins for WordPress
- Ask.com Can Actually Be Useful! Use It For PPC Keyword Research!
- Big Brand Shift On Google: Good, Bad Or In-Between?
Some opinions expressed in this article may be those of a guest author and not necessarily Search Engine Land. Staff authors are listed here.
(Some images used under license from Shutterstock.com.)
Get the best search news, tips and resources, delivered each day.